Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: the handsome cabinboy

From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 11:32:34 -0500
Subject: Re: the handsome cabinboy
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Daniel Welch asks:

>What is the last verse of "The Handsome Cabin Boy"?

"For 'tis either you or me's betrayed the handsome cabin boy"

The captain's wife had been sneaking kisses from what she thought was a cabin
boy; the captain himself, knowing the cabin boy to be female, had actually
gotten her pregnant.

You might want to take a look at IED's transcription of the lyrics.  He
includes two other verses that KaTe left out (the original folksong is
rather bawdy; IED speculates (and I can't help but agree!) that KaTe left
these out because they would have destroyed the dark and somber mood of
her interpretation...).

Available on the archives, of course...

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |