Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Music Metamorphosis

From: foster@convex.com (Harry Foster)
Date: 24 Mar 91 20:01:55 GMT
Subject: Music Metamorphosis
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@convex.com (news access account)

"'Run, Heathcliff, run!' she whispered.  'They have let the bull-dog
loose, and he holds me!'"  -Emily Bronte  (Wuthering Heights)

I am far from supposing that the initiation (or interKalaTion) of KaTe's
music into my life is a particular one.  But it certainly has added a new
musical dimension and chartered many new directions.

It all started about two months ago (that's right, I'm a neophyte, currently
undergoing a musical metamorphosis) a friend of mine mentioned that he really
liked Kate Bush.  Being the type person who always likes to try new and
different things, I went out and bought the HoL cassette (alright, so I'm
a cheap skate :).  After listening to the tape once I was hooked, and the next
day went out and bought the CD.  The 'Ninth Wave' is like nothing which has
been done before.  I mean, here was a form of rock (or some category which I've
yet to find a label appropriate) whose lyrics go far beyond shallow and
superficial pleasantries.  I found the music to be a flawless blend of
incredibly sweet melodies accompanied with polytonic and at times polymetric
rhythms.  Yet, it could be as emotionally frightening as Moussorgsky's
'Night on Bald Mountain'.

A few weeks later, my friend gave me a tape containing a collection of Kate's
work.  From this point on I was hooked.  Within the span of a month I've bought
"The Whole Story", "The Sensual World", "Lionheart" and "The Dreaming".  Each
album has a mood to itself and stimulates a different emotion.  Today I'm
going out to get "The Kick Inside".

I would have a hard time picking the best or worst of KaTe's material.
My mood tends to dictate the type of music I want to listen to, and Kate's
music spans the spectrum of emotions.

By the way, I'm open to all recommendations for new music from any of you
gaffa's.  Obviously, you guys/gals have good taste in music or you wouldn't
be here.

Oh well, I better run.  Just like Heathcliff, I keep hearing KaTe whisper in
my ear "Run, Harry, run!  Someone's let the hounds-of-love loose, and they've
got a hold on you." :)

--
Harry Foster                                        foster@convex.com

    "When I say 'everybody says so,' I mean I say so." -Thomas Mann
    (When I want your opinion I'll give it to you.)