Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: GIFs! GIFs! (and the Archives in general...)

From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 91 14:55:08 -0500
Subject: Re: GIFs! GIFs! (and the Archives in general...)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

(I'm putting this in rather simplistic, detailed instructions, in case
someone who's never used FTP reads it...)

The Love-Hounds archive is currently available via anonymous FTP at

   hayes.ims.alaska.edu

To gain access (assuming you can use FTP), just type ftp hayes.ims.alask.edu.
You'll be asked for a username...use "anonymous."  For your password, just
use your actual username.   From here, you'll need to change directory...type
"cd pub/love-hounds".  From here, you can cd into either "archives" (where
all of the old .gaffa messages are stored--almost 6 years worth, in chunks of
100 messages) or into "kb" where most of the real goodies are, such as
interviews, gobs and gobs of lyrics (it's kinda fun seeing the transcriptions
of TWW from when it was released in'88 on the _She's Having a Baby_ soundtrack.
Anyway, from kb, cd into "pix" where you can go to either 'gif' of 'gif.new'
(most of the good ones, such as Michael Graham's stunning scan of the
Ninth Wave cover, are in the gif.new directory).

MAKE SURE YOU SET YOUR TRANSFER TYPE TO BINARY.  You can do this by simpling
typing "binary" at the regular "ftp>" prompt.  You will be very upset if you
download all sorts of nice pictures, then find out that you have to do it
over again because they got mangled in the ASCII transfer.

To get a single file, just type "get [filename]".  If you want to get a bunch,
you can use "mget [filename with wildcards, such as *.gif]".  This will ask
you if you want to get each file fitting the wildcard...you can simply
answer y or n.

And that's all there is to it.

Enjoy!

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |