Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Bulgarian voices

From: D6I601@vax87.aud.auc.dk
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 14:59 CET
Subject: Bulgarian voices

If any of you were as fascinated by the performance of the Trio Bulgarka
on The Sensual World as I, then you should check out //Le Mystere Des Voix
Bulgares, vol.3 / Disques Cellier CD017 (1989)// !!! The power in this
music is incredible !

It's a collection of Bulgarian folk songs arranged for choir, and per-
formed by Choir Of Trakia, Choir R/TV Of Bulgaria (Sofia) and Choir Of
Tolbuhin, with the help of a few soloists. Most of it is purely voice -
only a couple of the 14 tracks are accompanied by instruments - and it
offers some very interesting harmonies, not often heard in modern music.
Mostly I am very impressed by the interaction, between individual voices
and between groups of singers. The line gets sort of thrown around in a
complex pattern. It's a very interesting and intense experience, when you
are used to the more simple approach to the use of voice in more modern
music (this obviously _not_ including KT). Try it !

Vol. 3 gives the best technical recording quality. The CD is a direct
transfer from vinyl, so there is some noise, but it's nicely done. Vol.
1 is of no less value musically, but technically it's awfull. I have
not heard Vol. 2.......

-Lars-

Email : D6I601@VAX87.AUD.AUC.DK