Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No, not undersampling...

From: rabin@dorsai.com (Robert Marks)
Date: 19 Mar 91 13:55:30 GMT
Subject: No, not undersampling...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

    In this morning's Love Hounds Digest, there was a piece
posted wherein a newcomer to Kate's music wondered whether
the 'choppy' sound of Kate's voice when she says "Talk to me,
talk to me..." in "Waking The Witch" (I believe that's the track)
might have been achieved by undersampling. Answer: I doubt it.
An easy way to create such an effect is by using an
amplitude envelope, wherein the volume (amplitude) of the
sound - her voice in this case - is regularly cut off, reduced
to zero.
    As to this person's further question of whether this
effect would mean that the album was digitally recorded, the
answer is that the two questions are unrelated. The effect is not
produced via the tape, only recorded onto it.