Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: the residents

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 09:15:24 EST
Subject: Re: the residents
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Slender Fungus asks:
>I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but can anyone recommend a
>good starting place to sample stuff by the Residents?

I'm kinda mixed on The Residents; some of it just gets a bit too weird for
me.  I got a lot more into them when I saw their Cube-E (The History of
American Music in 3-E-Z Pieces) show in Chicago last November.  Performence-
Art-From-Hell.

Of the stuff I've heard,  _Cube-E Live in Holland_ is my favorite.  _Duckstab_
is also quite good (if you like They Might Be Giant's "Istanbul (not Constan-
tinople)" it's fun to hear the original "Constantinople").  _The King and Eye_
is good, but ~17 Elvis covers gets to be too much in one sitting (which
is one of the nice things about Cube-E:  you get an abbreviated set of
twisted Elvis covers).

I haven't heard either of them, but I keep hearing that _Third Reich and
Roll_ and, oh, I can't remember the combo but it's one of the American
Composer's series--I think it's Hank Williams and J.P. Sousa.

Jeff
(who drove four+ hours to Chicago to see them at the Riviera and miraculously
arrived at just the right time to get front row seats)

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |