Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Angel of Darkness

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 00:18:35 EST
Subject: Angel of Darkness

This may have been covered before but if so I missed it.  In the Kate
discussion group on GEnie (the GE information system) L.PAULLIN1 who
goes by Dawn offered the following information...

|  - New Kate periphery... Many years ago, I subscribed to the
| long-time defunct "Breakthrough" out of Canada.  In one issue,
| someone mentioned a young Canadian fantasy writer who'd
| acknowledged Kate as being part of the inspiration for his novel
| "Moonheart" (His name's Charles de Lint, I almost left that out).
| I found a copy - not easy at that time - and completely  fell in
| love with his writing.  ANYWAY - the point to this is: he has a
| new book out, his first horror novel (written under the name of
| Samuel M. Key) "Angel of Darkness" - see if this rings any bells :
| "...He was aware of every object in the room and his relationship
| to it by a sense of echolocation...The sounds...A woman in labor.
| A madman's howling. A child's pain as the skin was cut from her,
| piece by bloody piece.  Made into a music that had no known
| counterpart. ...Then something began to take shape...It coalesced
| slowly, from a bewildering spin of shapeless mist into a young
| woman's face.  She  floated on the air before him - a vision as
| perfect as the music, clothed in filmy white cloth as tattered as
| a child's helpless cries. She was an angel of sound.  The soul of
| the music given a moment of human form..."  It goes on about her
| l7g, Xle hair and her eyes... when, suddenly (surprise!) she
| transforms into a hideous creature with fangs and kills him.
| Gosh! Wherever did he get the idea?   (Oops) Actually, I always
| thought Experiment IV had the potential to make a nifty horror
| story.  I'm glad he wrote it - the book (in a manner of speaking)
| picks up where Kate left off when she got in the van.  I recommend
| it.  And his other books if you like fantasy... He's very lyrical
| - he's a folk musician himself...(Can you guess I'm a fan?) Whew!
| I hope this finds you all well (and still awake...)
|    Blessed be... Dawn

Later she added...

| - "Samuel M. Key's" publisher is Jove.    _Angel of Darkness_
| was actually published last October (boy, is my face red - some
| fan!) For those who are REAL detail conscious - the ISBN is:
| 0-515-10422-1 (in case you have trouble finding the book at your
| local store).  I have to plug Mr. deLint again - I absolutely love
| his work and think that it would appeal to Kate fans quite a bit.
| I also think it's pretty nifty that he's openly inspired by Kate's
| music.  There was another instance in one of his books - can't
| recall just where right now - but there was another reference to
| her - indirectly - just the phrasing of a particular passage -
| but, a fan would recognize it immediately.  Oh, she also gets
| mentioned by name in A of D.  Another author who's inspired by
| Kate is Emma Bull.  There's a moment in her first novel _A War for
| the Oaks_ (which is also quite influenced by de Lint) where the
| heroine is walking down a quiet street late at night.  She starts
| to listen to the rhythm of her footsteps and begins to hum a song
| that turns out to be "Cloud- busting."  I just get the biggest
| charge out of detail like that in a story, I mean I knew EXACTLY
| how fast she was walking, etc. I'm sorry, I just ramble until
| someone stops me.... Well...that will give you something to chew
| on while I go chew on my dinner (my husband's home-made pizza -
| yummy! Eat your hearts out!) Love to all and Blessed Be!
|
| Dawn
| (whew)

Enjoy!

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com