Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

My first posting

From: fingerle@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL (J. Fingerle)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 15:28:22 EST
Subject: My first posting
Cc: fingerle@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL, pirrung@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL

     Greetings and salutations, everyone!  I've just started becoming computer
     literate in the last month since my transfer to a new project.  As I became
     more familiar with the computer system, I stumbled upon the Love Hounds
     list and subscribed in early February.  This is my first posting, hopefully
     I can keep it non-controversial (yeah, right.)

     Let me start by saying that while I am a bit less enthusiastic about Kate
     than you people seem to be, I do enjoy her music immensely.  (And I can
     appreciate your adulation of her-I can be a bit fanatical over the Beatles,
     the Beach Boys...among others.)

     Anyway, I have a couple of opinions to impart, and a bunch of questions to
     ask, so here goes.

     1.  Why do many of you write "Kate" as "KaTe"?

     2.  What in the world is a KT-fem symbol?

     3.  I'm curious as to why many of you are bothered by such things as the
     Grammys?  I can't think of anything less pertinent to my enjoyment of music
     than the Grammys.  Seriously, who cares if Kate gets recognized by the
     music business?  Would that change your appreciation of her music?  Of
     course not.  Would more people listen to her music if she won?  Maybe, but
     again, who cares?

     On a related tangent, I've never quite understood why outside factors would
     change what is-for example, has your opinion of Milli Vanilli changed in
     the last six months.  Mine hasn't, I never cared for them before, and I
     still don't.  Likewise, Sting.  Politically and lately musically, I wish
     the pompous bastard would just shut up, but I still can be seen jumping for
     joy every time the Police are played.  So what if Quincy got 7 thousand
     awards, I'm still not interested in his album.  And as much as I think
     Sinead is the definition of "a rebel without a clue", I think her latest
     album was fantastic.  And Wilson Phillips...who cares what they win, or
     don't win.  What difference does it make?

     To put the whole thing in perspective, if you like to eat in fine french
     restaurants, then I say enjoy.  For those who eat at McDonalds, I say
     enjoy.  And to both groups, regardless of who might win a culinary award,
     neither is better or more right then the other.  But I digress...

     4.  Unfortunately, I live in the radio-free zone of Philadelphia where the
     drivel of Phil Collins music is a welcome relief from the round-the-clock
     barrage of ZepFloydWhoSpringsteen brain numbing anesthesia.  My initial
     exposure to "her Kateness" (I love that!) was via _The_Big Sky_ video on
     MTV.  But, living near Philly has exposed me to The Innocence Mission who
     are from Lancaster which is about 50 miles west.  So I say Kudos to the
     person who mentioned The Innocence Mission in reply to a request for female
     vocalist suggestions.  And I urge y'all to check out their album.  If
     you're into artists' whose output is full of imagery, poetic lyrics, and
     intelligent, forceful, mind provoking music, (and that certainly describes
     the main artist of this bulletin board) then buy this disc.

     5.  I'd love to see the archives, get copies of lyrics, etc., but in all
     honesty I am clueless about computers!  I'll re-ask for help some time
     later, but if any of you people are genuine 'bit-buckets', and I use the
     term affectionitly (sp?), how is the transfer accomplished?  About all I
     can tell you is that I am on a Unix terminal connected to Milnet-yes I do
     work for the US Navy and help keep the world's oceans safe for democracy.

     6.  As to my own female suggestions,  I have not seen any one mention the
     following:

     Bow Wow Wow-a personal favorite.  Alright, it IS musical sex sung by a
     fourteen-year-old, but I love it!

     Voice of The Beehive-Their _Let_It_Bee_ album is a 'pure pop for the
     masses' masterpiece!

     Sam Phillips-What Mariah Carey should sound like.  The _Indescribable_Wow_
     is a female mix of Squeeze/Badfinger/Beatles pop.

     Berlin-musical sex sung by a twenty-four year old.

     7.  More on the Grammys.  Not knowing John Lennon personally (though he and
     Elvis do frequent my local bar), I have to say that the deification of
     Martin Luther Lennon would make him retch.  By the way, if memory serves,
     Paul called him that.

     8.  I have three of the six studio albums on CD and three on cassette.  Is
     the extra stuff like the b-sides, alternate versions, etc., from the box
     set available elsewhere, and on CD?

     Well I've got to run.  Hope this made for interesting reading for someone
     out there.

My name is Jimmy

P.S.  Ha! i told you I was computer illiterate.  Don't ask me about the
format of the above, it just happened!