Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Control" by JC Bush

From: barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Jorn Barger)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 12:50:36 CST
Subject: "Control" by JC Bush

     Control

When God comes at me
do I bow the stallion's legs,
or meet him with flared nostrils?

When Man comes at me
do I rein in the stallion,
or let him meet the hooves?

When Woman comes at me
do I let her take the bridle,
or turn away the head?

When Animal comes at me
the stallion stalls at simplicity:
I cannot make him face attack.

When I come at me
the stallion bolts:
I find him nuzzling the reflecting water.

When I
and stallion
blend
the grass gets cropped.

Copyright 1974 Sceptre Press, Rushden, Northamptonshire

Interpretations, anyone?  The imagery strikes me as Gudjieffian...

Northwestern's poetry collection has #47 of 50 signed (and 100 more
unsigned but numbered) copies.  I wonder what suggested this library to
him?
The 'book' is simply a sheet of heavy light-purple stock folded and printed
with the title, and a single folded sheet of vellum (?) printed with the
poem.
JC's autograph, done with a calligraphy pen, bears some resemblance to
KT's.