Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Happy Rhodes Pt 2

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago)
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 91 04:27:37 -0500
Subject: Happy Rhodes Pt 2

Vickie here.

Mark writes:

> Well, since I happen to have a copy of the tape right here, I figured
> I'd post the track listing as there's always the small chance that the
> names of the songs alone may spur someone on to buy the tape... :-)

Thanks! I'm so glad you like Happy. Good idea. Here are two other ones:

        Rhodes Vol. I
A                     B
1. Rainkeeper         1. Moonbeam Friends
2. Oh The Drears      2. I'm Not Awake, I'm Not Asleep
3. Given In           3. The First To Cry
4. He's Alive         4. Step Inside
5. Possessed          5. The Wretches Gone Awry
6. I'll Let You Go
7. Number One
8. Case of Glass
Oh the Drears and Step Inside are my two favorite Happy songs.

       Ecto
A                               B
1. I'm Going Back               1. Ecto
2. If Love Is A Game, I Win     2. I Cannot Go On
3. Would That I Could           3. Ode
4. Off From Out From Under Me   4. Don't Want To Hear It
5. Project 499                  5. Poetic Justice
6. I Won't Break Down           6. To Be E. Mortal
7. If So

Would That I Could and Don't Want To Hear It are two songs that she
tried to sound like Kate _on purpose_ for fun. Homage, not rip-off.
Off From Out From Under Me is my third favorite Happy song.

My Vol. II is at work so that one will have to wait.

>    A       REARMAMENT      B
> list of songs deleted

Rearmament is a great album, though I like the other ones
better. She uses more synth sounds on this one and they're not always
in the best interest of the song. No matter, it's a wonderful album
and well worth getting.

To give people an idea of the nature of Happy's lyrics:
A.
1. The Perfect Irony
   "I thought I wanted to die but I barely had the time and isn't it funny
   how I didn't even have the money to say goodbye...what a perfect irony"

This refers to a time when she wanted to commit suicide, but was so
broke that she couldn't afford pills. There's much more to the song than
this, but you can see how the lyrics cut deep.

2. For We Believe
   "Why do we see a future before our eyes...For we believe in what
    we do...Safety scares us away...When we run others delay"

Some great lines from another "healing song." Multiple Happys singing.

3. I Am A Legend
   "I have a brain that's taken me to the corner of the world"

This is a hoot. Ranks up there with Peter Gabriel's "Big Time" in
talking about delusions of grandeur. Chris' favorite song.

4. Till The Dawn Breaks
   "I can't protect you, so be ready for the storm. I'm here to warn
   you...children it's your turn"

One of her perfect "high/low" voice songs. Haunting.

5. The Issue Is
   The synth sound of this song nearly ruins it, but once you get past
that, it's a good song. Lyrics are very hard to understand though.

6. Friend You'll Be
My very favorite song on this album.

7. Dreams Are
   "My dreams are my reality. Dreams are fine but...oh, I don't know...sooner
    or later they've got to go"
Happy whispering in your ear is a wonderful experience. A song to fall
asleep and dream to. Fitfully.

1. Box H.A.P.
The synth sound _does_ ruin this song for me. I always fast forward through
this one. Too bad. It's a good song otherwise.

2. I Have A Heart
   "I have a heart inside, she's begging me for suicide. She doesn't want
   anymore. She's lived too many lives before. What do I say to put her at
   ease? All I can do is beg her to stay"

Wrestling with emotions that threaten to destroy. Tragic and hopeful at
the same time.

3. Crystal Orbs
Two-character song. Light and Dark.

4. Because I Learn
   "I learn many things the hard way. I learn many thing the easy way.
   I know many things about you, you never knew I knew"

Lots of Happy voices. Lyrics are hard to understand. Great song.

5. Baby Don't Go
_Lots_ of Happys singing. Lyrics are hard to understand. It took me a
long time to warm up to this song but now I love it.

6. Rhodes Waltz
   "I am a fleeting thought. Cherish and remember. Tomorrow, I'll be gone.
   Understand that I am momentary....If you ignore my presence, I will never
   come again. Take notice. I remain for no one, no thing. Be aware, tomorrow
   I'm gone. Treat me with respect and care, when needed I'll be there"

Creepy waltz. This is not about a person. One for the think tank.

7. Ally Ally Oxenfree

Lots of Happys again. Echo used to wonderful effect. Searching...searching.

I didn't try to describe the music. I never try to describe Happy's music.
She can't be compared to anybody (except Kate...vocally...sometimes) so
forget those references to Joni Mitchell that I think mjm brought up.
Happy's music is simple, yet completely original. There's no one like her.

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com