Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

female singers

From: Jadesha@RCN.BITNET
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 13:04:28 EST
Subject: female singers

thought I'd throw my semi-informed two cents into the fray as to preferred
chanteux:
Siouxie Sioux-And the Banshees, indeed. Her otherworldly warbling is the
epitomy of ghostly. One need only hear "Cities in Dust" to see this.
Patti Smith-gritty, gruff, without a sense of being faux-butch- her
repeated, drawled "IIIIIIII" on "Gloria" is a musical orgasm in and of
itself.
Kim Deal-ethereal without being insubstantial.
Kate Bush(of course)-one of the most technically capable AND soulful!
around. Her voice is aural nirvana.
Sinead O' Connor- up there(despite her posted comment)with Kate.
Sandy Denny-I have heard both her post and Fairport stuff, and both
have their merits. An amazing musician and singer, one of those peole
when you listen to, you wish you had known.
Realize that I am not an avid collector of certain peoples records-
because I love so much music and because of my low socieconomic
level, I am more of a dilletante. So, I don't own a lot by any one
artiste, except for a few personal heroes.
"In the eye of the forest/there is a mare/black and shiny/with yellow hair/
I put my hands through her silken hair/and found a stair./And I didn't waste
no time/I just climbed right up."-Patti Smith