Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

request for info on Box set, plus info on other singers, an

From: aruss@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Andrew Russ)
Date: 15 Feb 91 17:11:17 GMT
Subject: request for info on Box set, plus info on other singers, an
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

	Hi!  I've been a "gaffa voyeur" for some time, just reading stuff
and not posting.  Now i have something to ask.

	I know a large number of you have gotten the box set, some have
the box set plus UK CDs, some box set plus US CDs.  What i wanted to
know was whether the sound quality of the box set CDs is noticeably
better than the sound on the current US CDs, and also what is the status
of the rumor that the B-sides CDs will be released in the US?  My current
status is i have all Kate albums on LP, except TSW and ATSW, and instead
of TWS i have the single of "Experiment IV"/"Wuthering Heights" (new vocal),
plus a few other singles.  At this point the box set would be a nice way
of upgrading to CD, but i want to know just what do i get for the extra money
so i can figure out what i want to do.  E mail messages to me (aruss@oucsace.cs.
ohiou.edu) rather than post since this topic has probably not of interest
to all the people who already have TWW   (hmmm, TWS, TSW, TWW, does that mean
the next album will be abbreviated TSS?).

	Anyway, to give people something to read that is relevant to current
threads, here are some other female singers/writers i admire, in no order of
preference and with some prejudice to names i haven't seen yet:

	Angela Conway (A.C. Marias)--AC Marias is a project of Angela Conway
and guitarist B.C. Gilbert of Wire, plus other studio help.  very minimal
stuff.  Maybe a cross between Laurie Anderson and the Cocteau Twins, though
the lyrics are somewhere else.  Floating, disjoint music.  One of Our Girls
is a great record.

	Joni Mitchell--very literate.  When she plays piano (the song "Blue"
especially), she reminds me of the Cathy Demos of Kate.  But of course Joni
has her own voice.

	Nico -- after she left the Velvet Underground, she did one album of
covers (mostly leftover VU songs and the first songs by then 15-year-old Jackson
Browne) that has a Nick Drake-like feel to it, excepting Nico's deep voice
and the atonality in "It Was a Pleasure Then", which she co-wrote.  She then
started writing her own music with a distincly Middle Eastern feel to the
melodies, and these were given bizarre arrangements by John Cale.  The whole
effect is very unusual on Desertshore and The Marble Index.  Actually it's
a lot like AC Marias with a change in voice and instrumentation.

	Lotti Golden -- Janis Joplin meets Nancy Sinatra, sings Jim Carroll
as backed by the Guy Lombardo orchestra on serious psychedelics is the only
way to describe this.  A collectors item you can probably find for $1 if you
look in the right places.

	Lora Logic (Essential Logic)-- she warbles and plays the sax.  Kind of
like Disco meets Captain Beefheart.  Some really great singles--"Music Is a
Better Noise"/"Moontown" and "Fanfare in the Garden"/"The Captain".

	Also:  The Sundays, Patti Smith, Laurie Anderson, Danielle Dax (I've
finally decide the new album is OK, even if not Inky Bloaters II), Suzanne Vega,
Sandy Denny (with Fairport Convention or Fotheringay), sometimes Patricia de
Rowland (Vomit Launch).

	Oh yeah, something about Patti Smith and Peter Reich.  I've heard some
concert recordings of Patti Smith singing "Birdland", and in the intros she
refers to Peter and Wilhelm Reich.  Apparently the song itself is from Peter's
point of view after Wilhelm Reich's funeral (he died in jail) and Peter goes
out in the yard and his dad comes back in a big UFO or something.  Or maybe he
just has a hallucination.  By the way, the song was officially released on the
album Horses, without any reference to the Reichs by name.

				well, that's enough chatter for now,

				andrew russ
				aruss@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu