Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mailbag

From: Chris Williams <katefans@chinet.chi.il.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 02:04 CST
Subject: Mailbag

Chris here,

Neal R Caldwell, Ii asked:
> Did everyone miss the fact that the "nightmare" in my last post is
> actually a description of an honest to goodness KT appearance?  I'm
> dissapointed!

  Fortunately not too many folks have seen this little gem. What Richard
described is an embarrassment to Kate from _very_ early in her carrer. It
is possible that Kate's "control fixation" may date from this appearance
on Japanese TV.

Thomas Willett posted:
> I have noticed on my copy of the Lionheart compact disk that there are
> several places in which there is fairly severe distortion of the music.

and Kevin Kinsey replied:
>> it has been my experience that the domestic (read U.S. pressing) of many
>> CD's appear to be of inferior quality. When I got the boxed set and heard
>> the import of TSW, it blew the domestic pressing out the window and around
>> the block! This is also the case with Peter Gabriel's Security disk.

  American CD's of English artists are never made from the original master
tapes due to the obvious risks of transporting irreplacable masters across
the ocean. So, many tapes were made from so-called "safety masters" or dubs
of the masters. It's not possible to make the fragile glass CD masters in
England and transport those either. Another problem with some master tapes
is that U-Matic (3/4") video-tapes are used as the mastering medium for CDs
and I believe that PAL versions are used in English studios. Still another
problem many older CDs share is that the sub-master tapes were "pre-EQed"
for the preceived limitations of the LP medium. All in all, any given
recording will sound better when produced in the artist's home country.

Ronald Hill wrote:
>>     A friend of mine let me borrow his set of Carriad Kate's and there is
>> a reprint of an article in issue 12 called Bush-Whack.  It has a photo of
>> Kate telling off the photographer with Del holding her back.  Supposidly,
>> the photographer bumped into her and Kate responded by giving him a swift
>> kick.
>> Does anybody know anything else about this.  This is the first time I have
>> ever seen evidence of Kate being mad at someone (aside from the "Pratt"
>> interview) and I find it very interesting.  On my friends copy, you cannot
>> see the photo very well, does anybody know the source and if it is
>> reprinted clearer somewhere???  For those of you who haven't read the
>> article, the "injured" photographer said " I didn't think anyone that
>> small would be able to kick so hard"....

and Yli-Krekola Perttu Jaakko responded:
> This description fits to the Kate picture in People Magazine (UK),
> March 25, 1990. Kate is holding a colourful bag in her right hand.
> The text below the picture says:
>
> "Kate Bush is restrained from demonstrating to a photographer
>  how it feels to be Bush-whacked"

    I have _very_ serious doubts that Kate has ever hit _anyone_! The
previously mentioned Night Flight interview was described by Kris'n'Peter
of Homeground as "..the angriest she's been that we've ever seen!" English
tabloids are not above inventing news events; a picture of nice, sweet Kate
Bush decking someone would be on a par with Mother Theresa kicking an orphan.
   Rereading the above makes me even more sure. Kate would not react
violently to someome "bumping into" her. That said, Kate went through a very
emotional time last year, with the death of two close friends, and without
checking a timeline or seeing the picture she may have come from a funeral,
and have been distraught. The asshole paparatzzi (sp?) may have had the
thought in their pointy little heads "hey, let's get a photo of Kate Bush
crying!"

Kirstin Hargie asks the eternal question:
> How tall IS Kate anyway????

   Well in the absence of any reliable evidence I'll say 4' 11 1/2".
Kris of Homeground claims that Kate not that short, but Kris is not tall
either. Peter looked like a giant in photos until I met him in person and
found that he's about the same height as I am (6'). He only looks tall
when surrounded by other English people. :-)

Jorn said:
> also, i ran into bill from the record exchange on the train on my way home
> last night, and he'd just acquired (from reckless) for $18 (!!) a limited
> edition picture-disc interview cd in a larger box with several strange
> photos of kate in front of some waxworks astronauts!?!?

  The photo appears on page 84 of "Kate Bush - A Visual Documentary" (prob-
ably the best single Kate book to own) and looks to be from the shoot of
"The Big Sky". One of the astronaut costumes was worn by Dave Cross of
Homeground I believe. Incidentally, Peter F-M is the first person in that
video.

                            Chris Williams
                                of Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                        katefans@chinet.chi.il

"My music sophisticated? Well, I'd rather you say that than turd-like!"-Kate