Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Warning -- outrageous, possibly offensive song title!

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 91 18:35:34 PST
Subject: Warning -- outrageous, possibly offensive song title!

I hope nobody flames me for this -- I'm only the messenger!

The cover story of the February issue of _CD Review_ is "The Joy
of Sex in Music."  Here's one paragraph:

"[A particular song] is silly enough to fool parents and get on
the radio.  But sneak a listen to [list of songs] and you'll
hear just how far sexual boundaries are being pushed."

One of the songs in that list is -- ready world? --

"Kate's Bush" by Marc Anthony Thompson.

Well, I had to find out what this was all about, just for the
record.  So I found a copy of his album at Tower.  The album
is called _Watts and Paris_.  I expected the song to be hardcore
punk, but it isn't at all!   The melody is that of an ordinary
light rock song, with jazz touches.   The lyrics are very erotic,
but only somewhat sexually explicit.  There's no mention of Kate
at all.   Actually, a lot of the lyrics are very strange.  This
is by no means a great song, but it's not the horrible thing I
was expecting.

Here are the lyrics.  You have been warned above.

I once new a virgin that I met at the airport
She was dirty, I was seventeen
Her feet were bare, her lips were chapped
I don't remember why
She had the biggest dad I'd ever seen
Beyond the dreams of avarice
The body finds a home
I kiss her and I lick her
And I put it in the wrong hole
A million apparitions shake a finger in the breeze
The house is made of money
I once knew a junkie who would drop for a dollar
She had the sweetest ass I've ever seen
If you've got a nickel I've got one
And we can call her
You can wake her up, she never dreams
Beyond the dreams of avarice
The body finds a home
I kick it and I lick it
And I put it in the wrong hole
Beyond the dreams of avarice
I whisper it alone
I kiss her and I lick her
And I put it in the wrong hole
The house is made of money

Sorry about that, folks!

Ed Suranyi             | "I couldn't hope to do it anywhere near as well
ed@das.llnl.gov        |  as Kate Bush because she is a Goddess."
(415) 447-3405         |                 -- Sinead O'Connor