Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Irish Music

From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 00:37:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Irish Music

Slender Fungus says:
> While I'm on the subject, can anyone recommend any good Irish bands?

Well, now, there are lots of them, aren't there?  I'm assuming that you are
looking for traditional Irish folk music (or "trad"), not U2, Elvis Costello,
etc...

Let's see... For starters:

The Chieftains:  In the early part of this century (and much of the last),
	Irish traditional music was rarely heard, even in Ireland.  For
	reasons both cultural and political, there was a great resurgence
	in interest after WWII;  the Chieftains were one of the first and
	surely the most popular group to come out of this movement.
	They may have a lost a little of their edge over the years (all
	that Guiness stout does catch up with you eventually ;-] ),
	but they are still the reference point for Irish traditional playing.

	Traditional (acoustic) Irish ensemble playing -- Uilleann (uy'lan)
	pipes (literally, "honeysuckle" pipes)(?), whistles, harp, flute,
	bodhran (frame drum));  lively reels and jigs a speciality.

	Highly recommended:  any and all of the earlier albums (_Chieftains 1-
	4_, etc.), _The Chieftains Live_ -- all on Shanachie Records.

Planxty:  (planc'hty)  The renewed Irish folk scene was focused
	on preserving and performing the music still played in the Gaeltachtai
	(Irish speaking areas in the west and northwest of Ireland).  During
	the international boom in folk music in the 60s and early 70s, some
	Irish folk musicians began borrowing elements from other folk
	styles;  particularly from eastern European and middle-eastern
	cultures.  Planxty was one of the most famous of these groups.
	Though they produced only four albums, the members have continued
	to be a major influence in Irish music.

	Pipes, bodhran and whistle plus bouzouki and other guitaroids, male
	vocals;  trad reels and jigs plus slower ballads.

	Recommended:  _The Well In The Valley_ is my favorite, but it's all
	great -- also on Shanachie ( = Irish "story teller" )

Clannad:  If Planxty was looking east, Clannad started off looking west to
	California -- early Clannad mixed trad instruments with double-
	bass and bongos!  In the eighties, they drifted more and more into
	modern rock (with mostly fine results).  Note that Enya appeared
	(under her Irish name Eithne ni Bhraonain) on the album _Fuaim_;
	no surprise, as her sister, two brothers, and two cousins make up
	the rest of the group.

	Harp (!!), bodhran, flute, whistles, plus guitars, double-bass,
	percussion, keyboards (and later synths), female lead vocals and
	some stunning "sean nos" traditional harmony vocals. A mix of
	traditional tunes and original songs, many sung in Gaelic.

	Highly recommended:  _Clannad Live_ (the one with the red Celtic
	lettering -- a favorite album of mine), _Magical Ring_, Fuaim.
	The newer stuff (_Macallah_, _Sirius_, etc.) is different but good.
	The older albums (pre Fuaim) have been rereleased on CD;  they
	sound a bit dated but worth tracking down if you like the group...
	Shanachie and Tara Records.

There are many other more recent groups worth investigating -- the recently
mentioned Bothy Band is of interest not only for the lovely singing of Triona
Ni Dhomhnaill but for the presence of Donal Lunny, who has appeared on KaTe's
last three albums.  Those who enjoy the Maire Ni Bhraonain's harping on
Clannad's album should check out Derek Bell's solo recordings, as well as
Patrick Ball (who plays a traditional metal string harp ), and the
extraordinary Maire Ni Chaithasaigh ( whose album is available from Flying
Fish records in the US.  This is the finest harpist I have ever
heard;  I would appreciate any information on her... ).

In general, Shanachie and Green Linnet are reliable labels (Shanachie also
carries many interesting Middle-Eastern and African musicians).

Sorry for the lecture, but given Ms. Bush's use of Irish instrumentation and
style through the years it seemed appropriate.  I welcome further email
correspondence on these matters (particularly info on Donal Lunny, Bill
Whelan, Ms. Chaithasaigh, etc.).

Ban-dia dhuit, a Shusan (Harwood Kaczmarczik)!  Is I!

Slan agat, and footah!
-greg