Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

misc.

From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 13:40:21 -0500
Subject: misc.

Slender Fungus asks

>  Any Kate-fans out there into Bongwater?

not yet, but i've been curious for a while, and after your post i'm
convinced.  ( "Dazed and Chinese"!!! )  note that the other main
member of bongwater, the mononominous Kramer, has been a force in
(very) independent music for a while, and is the producer of the
last few Galaxie 500 releases.

woj says

> Amy L. Edelman sez:
>> I just got this great cd called "Red Earth" by Crash Vegas.  The vocalist
>> sounds a bit like Suzanne Vega with more of a rough edge to her voice,
>
> [ discussion of group's sound deleted ]
>
> canadian band. the bassist is the sister of daniel lanois who has a great
> album out called _arcadie_ (there's a accent on one of those letters). i
> think they are from quebec, but i could be wrong (at least hte bassist is).

note that Ms. Lanois (Jocelyn, i think) was the bassist on _This is the Ice
Age_ and _Danceparc_ by Martha and the Muffins (back when she still had
some muffins...).  Daniel Lanois recorded and produced these (*wonderful*)
albums in an spookily Eno-esque style.  (no suprise he later became Eno's
prime technical collaborator...)  question/plea to any canadian lovehounds:
have any of you ever seen the above M&M albums on CD???  please please
let me know if you have!  (also _MetroMusic_ and _Trance and Dance_)

now, y'all are saying to yourselves, "why is he blabbing away on the networks
when he oughta be working on the lyrics booklets already sheesh!"  well,
a week-long bout with the flu (the flu won) and a sound reinforcement gig
from hell in NYC killed a week (or at least beat it senseless) (the week,
that is..) (oh, never mind).  anyway, in the meanwhile, my boxed set
arrived (thanks to David Armstrong), and i digitized and processed another
twenty photos, so at least things move ahead...

which reminds me, the lovehounds "Lionheart" award for the person who
unselfishly performs the greatest fan service as punishment for not
keeping his mouth shut goes to Ron Hill -- 1900 photos!?!?!?! oh, and
the check is -er- in the mail, Ron.  (*blush*).

looks like it's footah time!
-greg -- gb10@gte.com