Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Re:Hammersmith release

From: Chris Williams <gatech!chinet.chi.il.us!katefans@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 91 00:02 CST
Subject: Re: Re:Hammersmith release

   Vickie posted:
>> English viewers-I hope you really appreciate your TV system. Yes, you have
>> to pay for it, but you're getting something very special for your money.

  and Yli-Krekola Perttu Jaakko replied:
> I'm looking forward to the HDTV system wich should double the resolution
> of PAL. Most of Kate videos are shot on film so we can expect a great
> improvement in picture within next 5 to 10 years.

   Well to pick nits, all of the "videos" directed by Keef McMillan were
shot on video, and all of the ones from _The Dreaming_ era as well. Only
when she gained total creative control over her videos during _Hounds of
Love_ did the videos start being shot on film.
   The promo clips for _The Sensual World_ were done on 35mm in anamorphic
(wide-screen) format, with an eye to both HDTV and theatrical distribution.
   The earlier videos may have been shot anamorphic, and then cropped in
the editing, but I doubt it.
   The "letter-boxing" on rock videos used to annoy me; I felt it was an
affectation of second-rate directors (you can get much sharper images with
deeper focus by shooting non-anamorphic; see "Greystoke" or "One From The
Heart"). The possibility of Hi-Definition release makes it OK.
   Sorry to disgress so much, but Kate herself is interested in the
nuts-and-bolts of film-making.

                                Chris Williams of
                                    Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                        katefans@chinet.chi.il