Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Bag'o mail

From: Chris Williams <gatech!chinet.chi.il.us!katefans@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 01:01 CST
Subject: Bag'o mail

Chris here,

    I'm catching up on past posts,

  Paul.Gillingwater posted:
> My wife and i are both Love Hounds, being long-time KaTe fans -- and
> now we find out that KaTe has an interest in the Knights Templar!
>
> This is amazing, because we've just started reading THREE books on the
> KT -- "The Temple and the Lodge", "Born in Blood" and "Foucault's
> Pendulum!".  We're both quite interested in ceremonial masonry, and
> would be very keen to learn how far KaTe's interest in this area
> extends.

  Chris Ridd also asked:
>  About a week or so ago, someone posted the (intriguing) suggestion
> that Kate borrowed the 'KT' symbol from the Knights Templars.  Can
> anyone confirm this at all, or can the original sender elaborate?  It
> sounds a little farfetched to *me*, but a link might be interesting...

  Kate has claimed that she and one of her brothers "found the symbol
on the wall of an old house" and she just liked it and appropriated
it for her own use.
  This may or may not be true. Kate sometimes makes things up if she
dosn't want to bother to explain a complex situation. In mortals this
behavior is called "lying".
  Kate has mentioned that her reading preferences tend to non-fiction.
We don't know if she has read any of the books you mention, but it is
possible. We also don't know if the history of the Knights is taught in
British convent schools. Probably not, and if not the illicit nature of
a secret order that pushed the Church around before finally being
slaughtered at the order of a Pope might be quite intriguing to a bright,
imaginative person going through an adolescent "crisis of faith".
  Jorn Barger lent me a book called "The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail"
that you might want to check out.
   We don't even know why "KT" as in "The KT Bush Band". "KT" would be
"Katey" rather than "Kate" and she has never been known as "Katey".
Before her birth certificate appeared in a book, supporting her claim of
not having a middle name I was certain that it had to be "Teresa" I know
its a silly supposition but Catholic girls named Catherine have the middle
name Teresa as often as Catholic boys named Francis have the middle name
Xavier.

 Michael Graham was interested in the bit from my .sig:
>> ...and the kind of man I'm interested in is...  - where did this come
>> from???
>>
>> pretty funny. I love listening to interviews with her - especially when
>> they are on video as opposed to audio tape. I've got a few interesting
>> quotes, but that one takes the cake! Was it on TV or radio - or something
>> else????

  and Richard Caldwell responded:
> That's from an interview done with Kate for USA network's Night Flight
> show.  The raw video footage of this interview circulates at swap meets
> and record shows.  It's fascinating to see how Kate responds to some of
> the stupid questions that never made it into the final show.

  I'm putting together a file of exceptionally stupid questions Kate has
been asked. Another in the .sig below.
  We were sitting in the control room when this interview was being filmed.
We were biting our lips to keep from shouting out corrections and gritting
our teeth as the best explanation of "Cloudbusting" was ruined by an
incompetent sound-man who had duct-taped (gaffa, if you insist) Kate's big
floppy bow-tie to her jacket rather than moving the mike to the other side.
  An additional funny bit of the interview was pointed out to us by Kris
and Peter when we showed this piece to them. Here is the bit...

 Stupid Interviewer from Night Flight (SI)
 Our Heroine (KT)

    SI: There's another song "Hounds of Love" called
        "Big Sky" (sp) I think, where you used a couple of back-up
        singers...
    KT: uhm...
    SI: ...do you use back-up singers on this album?..
    KT: ..no, I don't think, on that track, no.
    SI: let me see........I think so....
    KT: Do I? Oh? Who?
    SI: Well who..who..who were the back-up singers on this album?
    KT: On that particular pratt...pratt (embarrassed chuckle) uh, track I
        don't there were any singers at all other than my brother Paddy
        doing one verse, and myself doing backing vocals...

    ... Kris and Peter and their friends hooted rather loudly at that,
and explained that the term "pratt" was roughly equivilent to "dipshit"
and how irritated Kate obviously had to have been to make a slip like that.

BTW: Night Flight is back on the air in syndication. The interviewer was
    a total hair-head, but the producer, Cynthia Friedland, was at least
    a minor-league Kate-fan, and always gave very good coverage of Kate.
    NF played the Hammersmith show a number of times and did numerious
    "Profiles" of Kate. Check to see if your local UHF station (you know,
    the one with all the 900 numbers) is carrying it.

Famous Kate Fans:

   Believe it or not: The members of Judas Priest;
     Ker-rang! had a "What we want for Christmas" piece and Judas Priest
     said "Kate Bush videos". Ker-rang! has had some of the consistently
     best reviews of Kate songs.

                                    Chris Williams
                                       of Chris'n'Vickie
                                          katefans@world.std.com

*  LGFF: The obvious question is...why are you wearing rubber trousers?  *
*  KATE: Well, they're not _quite_ rubber...                             *