Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Prisoners of Conscience

From: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 90 10:30:51 BST
Subject: Prisoners of Conscience

>From: Andrew B Marvick <abm4@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu>
>Thanks to all for the timely descriptions of the _Passing_Through_Air_ CD
>and (to Neil) for mention of Kate on _Prisoners_of_Conscience_. Neil,
>please let us know: did Kate actually appear on camera? If so, for
what proportion of total programme-time? What did the film look like?
>Was there any sign of who wrote the text that Kate read? Was there any
>music? Etc. Thanks.

Kate spoke directly to camera during both programmes which as I said earlier
were each only 5 minutes in duration. Kate was seated and seen in
either head and shoulder shots or from the waist up. Kate spoke for the
entire programme and there were intercuts of photos of the two men and their
families and, in the case of the artist, photos of some of his work.

Kate spoke in a very formal, pronounced style; almost certainly from
an autocue. The script gave quite detailed accounts of the two men,
their work, and their treatment by the state. I would say it was highly
unlikely that Kate wrote it. The programmes did not have any credits at
the end to indicate who had been involved in their making (someone within
Amnesty International almost certainly). There was no music during the
programmes but each one (there were 2 such programmes each day for a
fortnight) began and ended with a piece of music which sounded like a
Peter Gabriel tune (perhaps some other UK Lovehound knows what this was?)

Neil