Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Eclectic Music urvey #5

From: The Holy Lunching Friars of Voondoon <CARROLLJ%ALCBAN@KRDC.INT.Alcan.CA>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 07:23:00 EST
Subject: Re: Eclectic Music urvey #5

One omission to the list  - what about The Waterboys 'Fishermans Blues' ??
This should be included because it is probably one of the best albums
in the last ten years! Really cool Dylanesque folky stuff..if you like
Night of The Swallow, you'll like this       ^ /Irish
Buy it. Don't even think about it. (trust me..)
Also..Ozric Tentacles 'Erpsongs' really mellow trip/dub reggae stuff -
an armchair trip.
    ..Hawkwind 'Hall of the Mouantain Grill' or 'Warrior on the Edge of Time'
Warrior is not as representative of their material, but unbelievable synth, base
   , drums, violin, sax combininations coupled with that heavy distortion rythmn
guitar going quietly in the background make it essential.
..and what about Gong?? avoid 'Camembert Electrique' 'cos its too strange for
words. 'You' is the best synth/jazz/trippy music you will find - the same thing
the Ozrics are doing now, but 15 years earlier :-) Total float.
..Brian Eno 'Another Green World' - the male equivalent of Kate Bush
..Steve Hillage 'Green' - an album about the state of the environment recorded
allmost 15 years ago - superb guitar work, brilliant keyboards by Tim Blake -
luckily S.H. doesn't sing TOO much :-)
..Fairport Convention - 'Unhalfbricking' the instrumentation and clarity of
Sandy Dennys' voice on Sailors Life and Who Knows Where The Time Goes, are
earth-shattering.

Theres a few more....I've been behind on everything recently, with the Vax
comms going down for a week, so I may be abit out of touch. Katemas '91 -
Can you put me on the list Andy, I don't know how definite that will be,
life is kind of odd at the moment, I don't even know if I'll be in the
country by then. But put me down anyway. Thanx.
        Good Vibes and Goodies,
                        Jem xx
                        < carrollj%alcban@krdc.int.alcan.ca >