Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A Good Reason Why B-side CDs May Appear

From: think!ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.com!stuart@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 22:27:01 PST
Subject: A Good Reason Why B-side CDs May Appear

Hello,
	I'm wondering why this took me so long.
	There is absolutely no reason for the record companies to feel sorry
about the fans who bought the Boxed Set, if they release the B-side only CDs
in the USA, because....
	... it is illegal to sell the Boxed Set in the USA!
	So, if they release just the two B-side CDs in the USA, they will be
on pretty firm ground ethically.  This is not to say that they would care
in any event, though :-) .
	And it would be really terrible business sense to announce the double
B-side set before selling the Boxes for Christmas first.
	My guess is that the B-sides will be on EMI-America or EMI-Manhattan,
not on CBS.  Therefore, they will have everything except the five songs owned
by CBS.  This allows them to keep both CDs under 60 minutes, a slight savings
in pressing cost.
					Ken (I guess I won't be on the 2-CDs)
				...!portal!cup.portal.com!stuart
PS In case you are wondering, it is illegal to sell the Boxed Set in the
USA or any other foreign pressing, because the rights are owned by
EMI-America, CBS, etc. under specific agreement with EMI UK that gives
them exclusive rights to Kate Bush material during the years in question.
Similarly, you can't sell UK or Japanese "Dark Side of the Moon" CDs in
the USA, because Capitol owns exclusive rights.  And the RIAA has prosecuted
people for doing so (so far only stores or companies that specialized in
parallel imports, though - but the law is not restricted to only parallel
pressings).