Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate is singing in a Runaway Hotline Commercial, I think

From: pekowsky-larne@CS.YALE.EDU (larne pekowsky)
Date: 27 Nov 90 18:46:20 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate is singing in a Runaway Hotline Commercial, I think
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@CS.YALE.EDU

In article <8347@gollum.twg.com> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: James Marshall <james@TWG.COM>
>

>I was watching the tube last night (something else worthless, I'm sure),
>and a commercial came on for a runaway hotline number.  It shows a young
>girl huddled in a wet alley at night, and slowly zooms in.  And as best as
>I could tell, Kate was singing the plea "Don't give up", although not
>actually the song "Don't give up".
>
>I swear that voice, those intonations are so familiar to me... and it wouldn't
>exactly be out of character for Kate to do such a commercial.  Has anyone
>else heard it?  Do you think it's her?  Or am I just hallucinating familiarity
>again?
>
>-James
>james@twg.com

I remember seeing this sometime last year.  I don't usually pay much
attention to commercials, but on hearing this my head snapped up so fast it
almost flew off my shoulders.  Anyway, I would bet anything that it was
indeed Kate, although as I recall it sounded very much like just an exerpt
from "Don't give up."  While I'm sure Kate would have had to give her
consent to this being used (possibly Peter Gabriel would too) I don't think
anything new was recorded for the commercial.

					- Larne Pekowsky