Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Back from the Convention

From: mas@bucsf.bu.edu (quite mad)
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 90 21:47:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Back from the Convention

Sakari Jalovaara <sja@sirius.hut.fi> writes:

>There were a few (three?) live performances by Kate fans doing covers
>of Kate songs.  Interesting but I think I prefer the originals :-)

Agreed.  One of the women who sang (the one with the programmable
synth backup) sounded a little Enya-ish, but didn't sing nearly as
well.  Very good, though - just not as good as Kate or Enya.

I thought that the six dancers were *very* good, though.  I'm not sure
about this, but were they wearing outfits from the _Running_up_that_
_Hill_ video?

>There was a video documentary (who put it together?  Peter Morris &
>the gang?)  It was, something like 1 to 1.5 hours long and contained
>some commercially available videos, live TV performances, bits of TV
>interviews, less easily available videos, etc.  It was shown in three
>parts on a big video wall (the wall was of marginal quality.)  The
>tape is not available for copying :-(

The video was *great*!  Some of the things that stick out from it for
me were:  Seeing Kate and Peter Gabriel sing Roy Harper's
_Another_Day_.  I'd heard it, but never seen it.  Very moving.  I hope
it gets released one of these days...  It was also interesting to
finally see what Ken of the GLC looked like.  Kind of made the song
make a lot more sense.

Speaking of unreleased songs, Kate also talked about how great it was
to record Elton John's _Rocket_Man_, as she had always been a fan of
his.  I don't think that it'll ever be released, as, according to
Kate, it's not up to her whether it will come out or not, but up to
the record company.

>Pretty nice, huh?

I think that's putting it mildly.

--