Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: **Love-Hound** <sre017%cck.cov.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 90 15:20:44 GMT

What follows is the reveiw of the box set by Glynn Brown in Select Magazine:
Any factual errors have been left in ie The Kick Inside('77)
                     SENSES WORKING OVERTIME
With this oceanic outpouring,which constitutes  Kate Bush's every artistic
thought and feeling for the best part of eleven years,the woman is effectively
pinned for inspection.'This Woman's Work' consists of nine LPs(or eight cassett
es,or eight CDs),including extra,previously non-album material.
It's interesting to speculate on whose idea this torrential retrospective-theres
also a full-colour booklet with rare photographs-was.Because an undeniably
lucrative part of the Bush business is her mystery.For many admirers,the essence
of Bush is that,with little known about her personal life,she can be interpreted
as you wish.It's obvious she's clever,funny,philosophical,sentimental and
sensual,but what else?The idea is that by delving into obscurities and B-sides,
fans might just gain the clue to Kate's within.
It is a formidable assembley.First the six sumptuous albums,from 'The Kick
Inside'('77) to 'The Sensual World'('89),showing the development of a precociou
s talent that EMI were wise enough not to force or harry,allowing Bush to
blossom slowly.There follows a riot of of rarer stuff,nothing particularly
unobtainable,but items which may have been hard to track down.
Occasionally-'Passing Through Air',B-side of 'Army Dreamers',or 'Warm And Sooth
ing',flip of 'December Will Be Magic Again'-the tracks are thin and whimsical,
but on the whole it's remarkable how consistently worthwhile,risk-taking and
energetic this music is.Even the fillers-the 'Organon Mix' of 'Cloudbusting',the
'Meteorological Mix' of 'Big Sky'-round out the feel,while rarer tracks,like the
French single 'Un Baiser D'Enfant',the magnificently lush 'Ken' from the Comic
Strip film GLC and the onstage EPs,illuminate further depths to the Bush persona
But the real jewels are the unexpected treasures that glitter in the grass.Adole
scent,helplessly sexual,'Lord Of The Reedy River' has Kate languorously in love
with a swan.There's nothing to the melody and the backing is a symphony of
dripping water and the aching creak of rowlocks as the singer,a Lady of Shalott
adrift on the lake,pursues her vain love;yet this sparse suggestion is the
essence of it all.
Wild,temperamental,endearingly aware of and in love with her own media image,a
true child-woman in her blend of emotional maturity and sparky naivety...
Reassuringly,we still know as much-and as little-about Kate Bush as we ever did.
Rating: 4 out of a possible 5
There are two more more to follow when I get the time,possibly Thurs afternoon!
 _ __                                 __            Andy Semple
' )  )            /                  /  )    _/_  / 7 Winsford Avenue,
 /--' _  __.  _. /_  o  __  _,      /  / . . /   /  Allesley Park,
                            /|                JANET:sre017@uk.ac.cov.cck
                           |/                 HOME TEL:(0203) 672308
'I'm the concierge,chez moi honey.Won't letcha in for love nor money.My home
my joy and I'm barred and bolted,and I won't letcha in!!!'KB '82