Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

There is no Canadian CD box set

From: gatech!kong!ncratl!ncrlnk!ncrwat!images1.Waterloo.NCR.COM!gregg@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 90 02:59:24 EST
Subject: There is no Canadian CD box set
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9011140202.AA28444@gaffa.MIT.EDU> you write:
>Really-From: Jeffrey C. Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
>
>This guy can get me the set for $170...not too bad, but not great.  If I
>pay in full upfront, I can get it in two days.  However, this guy hadn't
>heard about the Canadian set--and he does have a Canadian importer.  So,
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>he's gonna check on a price for the Canadian set--supposed to know by
>Friday.
>
>On to the biggest surprise of the evening:
>
>Maybe the discussion of this just slipped past me on the net, but have
>any of you seen a picture-disc import of TSW?  This is the full CD (all
>11 tracks), and has the sand-through-fingers picture silkscreened onto
>the disk.  It's quite nice.
>
>So has anybody else seen this?  What do you think is a good price for
>it?
>
>(the importer wants...I think it was $19.99 for the picture-disc.  Sorry,
>but I didn't see who pressed it.  He did say that he can get more copies,
>so if people want this, I can probably buy-n-ship 'em)

First, to clear up this Canadian CD box set rumor.  There is no Canadian
version.  We get the UK version as does the US.  I bought mine last Saturday
(paid $147Cdn about $130US) at the local HMV outlet.  There are only two
differences from the Canadian releases that I can see.  These are:

1) The Canadian CD of TSW has the silkscreened picture mentioned above.  The
   UK version is disappointingly bland.  I guess I'll have to keep both copies.

2) The cover of TKI CD is different from the Canadian LP (and I think the
   Canadian CD).  Hopefully the following summary of TKI covers is correct:
   Canadian LP : Kate holding her hair away from her face (on the page before
                 the centre page of the TWW booklet in the box set; opposite
                 the picture of Kate with the bag pipe (?))
   Canadian CD : Kate in a box (one of the first pictures in the TWW booklet)
   UK CD       : Japanese style lettering and motif with Kate swinging/hanging
                 in front of the backdrop.

   I don't know if the US releases are the same as this or not.

   Cheers,
          Gregg Simmons
          (Gregg.Simmons@Waterloo.NCR.COM)