Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Convention/Trip to Peter's house [LONG, but worth it!]

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 90 12:05:58 PST
Subject: Convention/Trip to Peter's house [LONG, but worth it!]

Hi!  I'll try not to repeat too much of what's already been said,
as the major news has already been posted.

Larry Hernandez, Chris'n'Vickie, and I had arranged to meet at
Gatwick Airport on Saturday morning, as we were all supposed to
arrive within an hour of each other.  Despite the fact that we were
all coming on different airlines, and connecting in differnt cities, we
managed to meet pretty much as we had planned.  We went straight to
our hotel, where we stopped just long enough to meet Jorn Barger and
some other people staying with him, including Ron from San Diego.  (At
this point I should mention that I have a terrible memory for names.  If
I say something that someone does something without mentioning a name,
I've forgotten it, and I apologize.  If you want to send me e-mail telling
me who you are, I'd appreciate it.)

We dropped off our stuff and cleaned up a little, then headed over to
Hammersmith.  I was surprised at the length of the line, but with over
1200 people attending I should have expected it.  In line I met Andy
Marvick, Meredith Tarr, and some others.

Other posts have described the room.  We Love-Hounds set up a meeting
place near a couch, and we all signed the card that Andy got for the
flowers we planned to give Kate.

In the following, I'll use the legend:

K: Kate
Q: Questioner from the audience
A: Shouts from the audience
WAC:  wild applause and cheering.  I have to use this one a lot!

At the beginning, the people from Homeground introduced themselves.
David Cross (I think that's his last name -- I don't remember for sure!)
said,  "There are people all over the world here today.  We
have lots of Americans."  A big cheer went up among the Americans.
"I thought that would get a reaction from the Americans," he said.
He described the program, then said, "And, yes, Kate will be here."

WAC.

"And she's not going to just say hello and leave.  She's going to be here
for quite awhile, answering questions from the audience.  So don't worry."

Others have described the video presentation.  Nobody yet has said that
some of the things shown were stuff that I didn't imagine existed:
especially, "Coffee Homeground" from the Hammersmith Odeon concert!  As
you know, this isn't on the officially released video.  I was
awestruck; it was incredible.  I'll also just say that in the Rapido
interview, Kate talks about her fans, and says, "I think they must be
completely mad, and thank you very much!"  This brought some cheers from
the audience.

I was part of a quiz team consisting of Andy, Meredith, Graham from
Australia, and me.  Unfortunately, we didn't win.  Also, it turns out
that we were all wrong about the stumper question.  The next day, Peter
Fitzgerald-Morris of Homeground told us that the one question that only
the winner got right was "What was the full name of the Roy Harper song
that Kate sang backing vocals for."  It turns out that "You (The Game,
Part II)" is NOT the complete title!  I'll tell more about my trip
to Peter's house in Kent below.

We met Lisa, who runs the K.B.C.  Chris asked her if Kate planned to
perform at all, and she said, "Well, you know, Kate would really love
to, but the problem is that it would be bootlegged."  As you know, she
sang a little anyway.

Most of the rest of the program has been discussed by others, so I'll just
skip to the question and answer section.  I will be paraphrasing here,
and posting only what I remember, but I believe that some people managed
to get this on tape.  I think and hope that they will post the whole thing
real soon!

David anounced Kate with the words, "And here's Kate!"  Immediately there
was a mad rush to the front.  David said, "Sit down!  Sit down, so
everybody can see!"  With Kate on stage, nobody wanted to disobey, so
everyone sat down in short order.  I was especially happy, since, as one
other poster has discovered, I'm pretty short.

K:  Hello!  How are you?  Are you having a good time?