Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A 'Conventional' reaction

From: The Holy Lunching Friars of Voondoon <CARROLLJ%ALCBAN@KRDC.INT.Alcan.CA>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 90 13:06:00 EST
Subject: A 'Conventional' reaction

Hiya all,
        Everybody seems to be giving their personal reactions to the Con.
So I guess i might as well :-)

I got to La Palais late (due to British Rail :-(...), and was quite surprised
to see that it wasn't the dump I remember it to be - I saw The Cramps there
a few years back. They've certainly brightened the place up a bit.
I came in during the first section of the video (that was sooo good. I want
a copy!) and had a look round. Spotted a name-tag on somebodies arm  (was it
you Evan ?), and found everybody else. Met Cindy, Vickie, Ed (he IS shorter
than you imagine! :->), IED and (please insert your name(s) here........) etc.
Then Neil appears and I buy his CD's (yahoo!! - it WAS a fair price Neil!).
Bought two T-shirts - they are *really* neat (prize possesions!)
There is no point in me describing the events of the day, that's been done, and
will doubtless be done by people with more accurate descriptions than me.

I was quite worried (seriously) that I would be an 'outsider' to the
Love-hounds, seeing as how I'm the 'new boy', as it were.

I couldnt have been more wrong.

Everybody was warm, friendly, and so happy to be there. Imagine if you will,
the atmosphere at the best party you've ever been to, squared, several times.
Thats what it was like. :-)

The most startling thing about the whole convention - I say startling, because
it really hit me like a ton of bricks - was Kate herself. She seemed so
fantastically, incredibly, unbelievably - well, *normal*.

You know, you watch these videos, and listen to this incredible music, and find
that it's not created by some 'super-being' or 'god', but by a human being!!
I say that "She really ISN'T...", which is a far more wonderfull situation than
"She really is.." - although some people will no doubt disagree :->>

I don't know. The last few weeks have been the most unusual and uplifting of
my life. Its been so strange. From getting the 'head-rush' of awakening to
Kates music, to attending the convention, and meeting all these incredible
people - I feel a different person to what I did a month ago....

....and I love it.

Just my thoughts.
        Love and thanx.
                Jem xx
                < carrollj%alcban@krdc.int.alcan.ca >
"Dum, dum de dum, dum de dum, dum de dum de dum de dum, dum de dum ...etc"
Del Palmer (probably....)