Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Boxed set - my reaction.

From: E Welsh <ecwu59@castle.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 5 Nov 90 12:44:00 GMT
Subject: Boxed set - my reaction.
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

I had to wait a couple of days before I could write a cheque on this
baby. I also had to buy a CD player and amp. as well to play the thing
on - I thought this would be as good a time as any to finally start
converting to CD.
The box cost almost as much as the CD player - 90 pounds. The normal
price from yer big chain stores would be anywhere between 98 and 101
pounds but I got this from Avalanche on West Nicolson St. in Edinburgh -
just tell them Evan sent you. This is about $170 right? From a few clues
the shopkeeper gave me, EMI are supplying it to the shops at about 70
pounds but for some reason he didn't/couldn't give me an exact price.
I can't say anything about the box set itself which hasn't already been
said. I am disappointed about the absence of decent individual booklets
for the two B-side CDs and EMI's choice of 'rarities'. They have shot
themselves in both feet this time. Why oh why couldn't good ol' G have
taken her to a decent label instead of EMI? To get the max. out of the
CD format I think you have to - as Kate says herself about something
else - 'play it loud'.

Last week I made a rash promise to type in an article from RC concerning
Kate's rarities and 'The Early Years' LP. At the moment I am completely
snowed under with work so it may be sometime before I got a chance to
type it in. I might try and type in only the bit about this LP which I
think was interesting Larry in the first place. I have a couple of other
KT snippets from the music press concerning the box set which will be
typed in as time allows. Their only criticism is of the price -
otherwise mostly rave!!!

That's it for now...

--
/  __               /\ ecwu59@castle.ed.ac.uk /\ Are you selling your \