Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hex

From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 90 16:28:39 -0500
Subject: Hex

A new Hex CD appeared yesterday (or I noticed it yesterday, anyway):

	Hex: _Vast Halos_ Rykodisc RCD 10186 ( (p) First Warning Records )

Credits
	Donnette Thayer, "organic sounds" (ex-Game Theory vocalist)
	Steve Kilby, "electrical impulse control" (current-Church vocalist)
	Jim McGrath, "pounding, shaking, and apple eating" (?)

I'm a bit disappointed:  the album for the most part lacks the melodicism
and disturbed atmosphere of the first album:

	Hex: _Hex_ First Warning Records FW 001-2 (dist. by Rough Trade)

Ms. Thayer kinda snoozes through the first half of the album, hits a
couple of good ones with "Hollywood in Winter" and "Orpheus Circuit", then
ends with the mystic-lite title track.  The first album (recommended via
this very news group) was (IMHO) rescued from pretentiousness by an
air of quirky madness;  _Vast Halos_ seems better formed and thus less
intriguing.  I have to admit that my opinion of the first album increased
enormously upon repeated listenings, but nonetheless you might want to
listen to _VH_ before you buy it...

Footah!
-greg -- gb10@gte.com