Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: AMAROK

From: Lazlo Nibble <lazlo@hydra.unm.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 15:19:29 MST
Subject: Re: AMAROK

Mark E. Mallett writes:

> "Islands" (which I bought) convinced me to be more cautious, so I
> listened to a borrowed copy of Amarok.  My friend, from whom I borrowed
> it, and also a die-hard Oldfield fan, told me I could keep it.  I agree
> with his judgement of it.  It's simply awful.  Here's hoping he goes
> back to trying to make good, instead of pop, music.

Are you sure you listened to AMAROK and not EARTHMOVING?  That's a
really snotty question I know, but AMAROK is about as un-Pop as
Oldfield gets.  Dislike it you might, but you'll have to come up
with a better reason than the poppiness you imply it has, when it's
actually a return to his TUBULAR BELLS-through-INCANTATIONS era in
both sound and structure . . . and in my opinion, is the best thing
he's done in fifteen years.

Lazlo (lazlo@hydra.unm.edu)
"At last!  A cure for loud Hawaiian shirts!"