Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: pete@minster.york.ac.uk
Date: 9 Nov 1990 10:25:59 GMT

From: pete@minster.york.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Prefab Sprout
In article <9011080129.AA15848@gaffa.MIT.EDU> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: MasterMind <VNOZICK@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU>
>
>I haven't seen any word of the new Prefab Sprout album _Jordan: The Comeback_
>here on gaffa.  Has no one heard of them (which I doubt), or does no one other
>than me like them?
>
>_Jordan: The Comeback_ is a welcome surprise from Prefab Sprout.  The band has
>a sound similar to the Dream Academy.  This is their fourth album.  The first
>one, _Swoon_, has a sound which is indescribable.  It is nothing like their
>later albums.  Their second album, _Steve McQueen_ (known as _Two Wheels Good_
>in America, where Steve McQueen refused to release the rights to use his name),
>has a country feel to it, with Paddy McAloon's lyrics.  You may have heard the
>songs "When Love Breaks Down" and "Appetite" (They seem to be more popular in
>Europe.  Here in America they seem to get little attention)  Prefab Sprout's
>third album, the title of which escapes me at the moment, was overproduced and
>lacked the band's distinctive style.  So _Jordan: The Comeback_ is
>appropriately titled.

In fact ``Jordan: The Comeback'' is their FIFTH album, and ``From Langley Park
To Memphis'' is either their third or fourth depending on where you
live! I say this because ``Protest Songs'' was recorded after ``Steve
McQueen'' but not released in the UK until after ``From Langley Park To
Memphis''. I suppose it hasn't made it across to the States yet...

	Pete Fenelon (pete@minster.york.ac.uk)