Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KonvenTion plans

From: keving%gaffa.wpd.sgi.com@SGI.COM (Kevin Gurney)
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 90 17:22:00 GMT
Subject: Re: KonvenTion plans
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news%odin.corp.sgi.com@SGI.COM (Net News)

In <CMM.0.90.0.655582738.abm4@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu> Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:

>Really-From: Andrew B Marvick <abm4@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu>

>     Apparently in the interview with Gilmour in _Q_ recently,
>G. mentions that when he originally encountered Kate's songs,
>they were in the form of a very poor-quality home demo recording.
>(These must have been the "two hundred" or so--at least there
>must have been a lot by that time: early 1973.) He says that
>the tape recorder was not good.

[stuff deleted ]

>     With this news of a second _early_solo-piano_ session, paid
>for by Gilmour and conducted under studio conditions, we have at
>last a plausible explanation of the _Cathy_Demos_. Surely _these_
>are the spring 1973 recordings which Gilmour subsidized, before
>going on to produce the _Passing_Through_Air_ sessions later in
>'73, and the _Saxophone_Song_ sessions in '75.

I think it's more likely that the Cathy Demos are the very poor-quality
home demo recordings. I can't imagine that Gilmour would subsidize anything
where the tape deck was in the same room as the piano, as sounds on
(my copy, at least) of the ObsKuriTies tape would indicate.

Maybe Gilmour meant that the tape recordING of the home recordings was not good.
--
----
"Nothing witty to say today"