Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: news@acns.nwu.edu
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 23:26:53 CDT

Date: 3 Oct 90 04:26:49 GMT
From: The News System <usenet@accuvax.nwu.edu>
To: rec-music-gaffa
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: accuvax.nwu.edu

From: kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Boycott?!
Date: 3 Oct 90 04:26:48 GMT
Sender: news@accuvax.nwu.edu

In article <1990Oct2.212128.28722@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: carl@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Carl Hansen)
>Vickie wrote:
>|  * IMHO * the national anthem is stinky and stupid.
>IMHO too.  Another wrote:
>|  >  You owe some big-time apologies on this one! Perhaps we should
>|  >  take a cue from your heroine Sinnead, and have a Vickie boycott on this
>|  >  newsgroup until you do....

I have to get involved here.  I completely disagree with Vickie.  I think the
national anthem is a very moving song.  I don't think its about war, I think
its about not giving up no matter how hard things get.  Remember that the
fighting that was going on, was fighting for freedom from tyrany.  I really
feel that Vickie and Carl are missing the point of the song.  So what?  In this
country, you are alowed to have your own opinion.  Vickie was not saying that
she didn't think anyone should be allowed to play the song, she said she did
not like it.

What are you (person proposing boycott) saying?  Is it your idea that we
should boycott all the people who have ideas and feelings we do not agree with?
I have to tell you, if we start doing that, noone will ever read anyone elses
posts.

And before you tell me that this is what Sinnead did, I am telling you she
didn't.  She didn't say noone should play the national anthem, just that she
didn't want it played at her show.  If I wanted to come to your house and play
_Twisted Sister_ you could tell me no, too.  Thats what makes this country
great.  Everyone gets to have their own opinion.  As long as we don't try to
make other people live by our opinions, what's the problem.

Michael

Michael L. Kaufman   ||  So weave a circle round him thirce,
kaufman@eecs.nwu.edu ||     And close your eyes with holy dread.