Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lyrics server

From: Jeffrey C. Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 90 10:13:26 -0500
Subject: Re: Lyrics server
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)

>You know, I've tried as least five times to get the lyrics server to
>work, and it hasn't worked once.  Sometimes the mail bounces, but other
>times I've simply gotten nothing back.  Can someone who has used it
>successfully PLEASE describe IN DETAIL how to set up a message that
>the server will understand?  Also, can someone tell me a mailing address
>for the server that I am likely to be able to send mail to?

>Ed

I seem to remember reading that the lyricserver has gone down...probably to
never reappear.  Seems some record company(s?) found out that the copyrighted
lyrics to lots o' music were available and got annoyed.  At least, that's
what I've heard.

I've used the server a bunch of times, and never had any problems...an
example might be:

LYRICS/ALBUM=NO BORDERS HERE

As you might suppose, this will get you the lyrics to all the songs on
the album "No Borders Here" by Jane Siberry.

This should be on its own line; there should be no subject.  You can
put multiple requests in a single message, however the server does cut replies
at a certain length, so don't request too much at once.

On the header from one of the messages I got from the server, it lists
an address as "Lyrics%UMASS.BITNET@CUNYUM.CUNY.EDU"

As I've said, though, I think the lyricserver is down.

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |