Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Suzanne Vega concert

From: rhend@caen.engin.umich.edu (Robert Henderson)
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 13:24:30 EDT
Subject: Re: Suzanne Vega concert

In article <9009241635.AA10023@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Kenneth Brownfield <brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
>
>     Last Saturday, Suzanne played at the Norris Center (I think!) at
>NorthWestern University.
>     It was a stage on the "backyard" of a university building.  There were
>approximately 200 people there, mostly on blankets in windy 40 degree
>weather.  The concert was an hour and a half with two encores (it was _darn_
>cold.)  She did seem to cover everything equally, although I would have
>preferred more of her earlier songs.  It was a nice personal concert.

Ours was in the Michigan Theater, which seats about, oh, 700 or so.
(A guess.)  The length was the same - sounds like we heard the same stuff.

>     The concert was also free!  The intro band was called the "Gravity
>Beavers."  Odd name, but good band.  Their songs were a bit repetitive and
>not too engaging, but they were very good acoustic guitar players, and their
>songs were good, too.  Anyone heard of these guys?  They were kindof an
>acoustic, slightly folky, REM.  Something like that.

You lucky bastards!  I spent $22.50 on a ticket, and you saw her for FREE?
And we didn't even get an opening band!

>     Suzanne said that someone the night before (or a couple of nights, I
>can't rightly remember) danced naked on a table and had to be taken away.
>Was that your Michigan concert?  And I thought the UofI was wierd.  ;-)

No, I certainly don't remember seeing that.  For a start, there weren't
any tables.  >8)

And apologies for the multiple post, but my system connection bombed on
me while I was typing, and I couldn't tell if it had gotten through.

RobH (or Rob Henderson, if you prefer)
rhend@caen.engin.umich.edu
We hang on to every line, and walk straight down the middle of it.