Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Support Used Record Stores

From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago)
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 01:15:06 -0400
Subject: Support Used Record Stores

Randy writes:

>> about all those Kate CDs in the used-CD bin.  Think about it: it's
>> embarassing. Do we want Kate CDs right next to the Heart "Bad Aminals"
>> and 2 Live Crew's "Nasty.."?  In fact, small pre-KateFans might see
>> them and think that Kate must not be very good at ALL if everything
>> she does gets sold back!

Danceman Drukman replies:

> I don't know if you're being silly or not, but I didn't think this was
> very smart or funny.  I often shop the used bins, looking for artists
> I'm not familiar with, or things I never bothered to pick up on CD
> because I didn't want to pay full price for something I'd only listen
> to a few times.  Personally, if I were me (which I am) and I had heard
> all this talk about Kate but didn't know who she was, I would *jump*
> at finding a used disc.

Randy I know how you feel because I always used to get upset when I'd
see Kate in the used bins. I'd even buy things just to get them out of
there. However, when I started finding really wonderful and interesting
things in the bins that I'd never heard of, I realized that the tone-deaf
cretins that gave them up were doing me a big favor. I thank them for that.

Look at it this way: If you give them away it will be a wonderful thing and
if they like them then the world's a better place. If they don't and end up
selling the CDs to a used record store, the CDs will be like sparkling jewels
waiting to be discovered by some lucky potential fan flipping through the
rows.

It's a truly terrific feeling to be idly thumbing through the bins and see
something that you'd never thought you'd ever see on CD,or something you
knew existed but hadn't been able to find. I've had that feeling and
experience recently with Mary Coughlin's "Tired And Emotional", Anne
Pigalle's "Everything Could Be So Perfect", Annette Peacock's "X-Dreams"
and "Sky-Skating", Carmel's "Everything But The Drum" and Diamanda Galas'
"You Must Be Certain Of The Devil", all of which I already have on album,
but that I love enough to re-buy on CD. Mary, Anne and Annette were
especially special treasures to find on CD. The sharp intake of breath,
the shivering, the barely suppressed high-pitched squeals and yays and
OhMyGods that always accompany such finds would have been denied me if
people had kept those things in their posession. Hail to the used record
stores!!!

Jon, I agree with you 99% (all except the part about Randy being silly-he's
just a concerned Katefan and aren't we all?)

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com