Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: two steps on the water

From: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 90 22:03:18 EST
Subject: Re: two steps on the water
Sender: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu

george todd asks:
> In the song 'Hounds of Love' there is a lyric-'take my shoes off and
> throw them in the lake and i'll be two steps on the water'
> What do you suppose that means? It must mean something as the rest
> of the song is logical.

ah, i remember this discussion! i don't remember what the general
consensus was, but i look at it this way: water is unsteady ground
(so to speak) and is analagous to relationships in that stepping
on the water is as uncertain (if not more so) than forming a re-
lationship with a person. i'm not sure about taking off shoes, but
i tend to think of it as symbolizing going all out.

hm, i remember the big argument about whether or not scents can be
followed through water now - and that is a possible interpretation
as well: the protagonist throws her shoes into the lake in an attempt
to evade the hounds of love.

either is viable - and i think that's the beauty of KaTe's songs: any
interpretation that you can support is as good as any other. in that,
her music shares more with great literature than science fiction,
but then, sf can just as easily be great lit...enough rambling...

woj