Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Writes Great Science Fiction

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 90 05:41:17 EDT
Subject: Kate Writes Great Science Fiction

I often wonder just what makes Kate's music so special.  I doubt that
there's any one answer to that question but the other day I ran across
something in the introduction to a book of Philip K. Dick short stories
that offered a some insight.  Dick attempts to identify what makes good
science fiction.  In the process I think he touches on some ideas that
apply just as well to other forms of art and specifically to Kate's
music.

	Now to define _good_ science fiction.  The conceptual
	dislocation -- the new idea, in other words -- must be truly
	new (or a new variation on an old one) and it must be
	intellectually stimulating to the reader; it must invade his
	mind and wake it up to the possibility of something he had
	not thought of.  Thus "good science fiction" is a value term,
	not an objective thing, and yet, I think, there really is
	such a thing, objectively, as good science fiction.

	I think Dr. Willis McNelly at the California State University
	at Fullerton put it best when he said that the true
	protagonist of an sf story is an idea and not a person.  If
	it is _good_ sf the idea is new, it is stimulating, and,
	probably most important of all, it sets off a chain-reaction
	of ramification-ideas in the mind of the reader; it so-to-
	speak unlocks the reader's mind so that that mind, like the
	author's, begins to create.  Thus sf is creative and it
	inspires creativity, which mainstream fiction by-and-large
	does not do.  We who read sf (I am speaking as a reader now,
	not a writer) read it because we love to experience this
	chain-reaction of ideas set off in our minds by something we
	read, something with a new idea in it; hence the very best
	science fiction ultimately winds up being a collaboration
	between author and reader, in which both create -- and _enjoy_
	doing it: joy is the essential and final ingredient of science
	fiction, the joy of discovery of newness.

                                           Philip K. Dick
                                           May 14, 1981

----
"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com