Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The ICE Article

From: Waltman.HENR801c@Xerox.COM
Date: 20 Sep 90 06:15:23 PDT (Thursday)
Subject: The ICE Article
Sender: "Steven_H._Waltman.HENR801c"@Xerox.COM

OK, here it is...
-------------

29 Kate Bush Rarities Part of New Import Set

British EMI plans for late October for *This Woman's Work*, an eight-CD
Kate Bush box set containing two disc's worth of B-sides and other assorted
non-LP tracks.  Always the prolific artist, Bush has produced a large
number of non-LP tracks since the debut of of her first "Wuthering Heights"
single in 1978, and this set aspires to gather them all under one digital
roof.  The other six CDs consist of Bush's studio albums: *The Kick
Inside*, *Lionheart*, *The Dreaming*, *Never For Ever*, *The Hounds of
Love* and *The Sensual World*.  Unfortunately for American fans, there are
no plans for a stateside release of *This Woman's Work*, because Bush's
recordings are divided between two rival labels, EMI and CBS.

Bush herself had quite a hand in assembling the set.  "She was very
enthusiastic about it," EMI's Steve Davis told ICE via telephone from
London.  "It's very much her collection.  She came up with what songs were
included and how it should look, right down to the visuals and the
typefaces.  I think that's what makes fans happy, if they can see the
artist's fingerprints all over it."

The 29 rarities found on *This Woman's Work* consist of "The Empty
Bullring," "Ran Tan Waltz," "Passing Through Air," "December Will Be Magic
Again," "Warm And Soothing," "Lord Of The Reedy River," "Ne Tien Fuis Pas,"
"Un Baisier D'Enfant" (French single), "Under The Ivy," "Burning Bridge,"
"My Lagan Love," "Handsome Cabin Boy," "Be Kind To My Mistakes," "One Last
Look Around The house Before We Go," "Not This Time," "Walk Straight Down
The Middle," "Ken," "I'm Still Waiting," "Wuthering Heights" (new vocal
from *The Whole Story*), "Experiment IV" (12" mix), "Experiment IV" (single
version), "Running Up That Hill" (12" mix), "Hounds Of Love" (alternative
mix), "Cludbusting" (Organon mix), "The Big Sky" (meteorological mix) and
four songs from the *Onstage* EP: "Them Heavy People," "Don't Push Your
Foot," "L'Amour Looks Something Like You" and "James And The Cold Gun."

"If anything's left out, it's either because it doesn't exist anymore or
there were licensing problems," Davis says.  The eight discs are housed in
a compact box, complete with a 26-page book of rare photos.  Now the bad
news: There are no plans to make the bonus CDs available individually, and
*This Woman's Work* will sell for around 80 British pounds--or $150--at the
retail level.  But it's not a limited edition set, and should remain in
EMI's catalog for some time to come.

- Steve Waltman
  Xerox Corporation, Rochester, New York