Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

CBS banning the Box?

From: derek%sunstroke@sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 90 16:27:09 PDT
Subject: CBS banning the Box?

Regarding CBS preventing the import of The Box Set :

I don't think it will happen.  CBS only have rights to the TSW tracks.

Any store that imports discs that I have seen, apart from the megachains who
can't risk losing a label's catalogue, seems to be able to get  discs with
extra, unavailable-in-the-US tracks without any problems from major labels.
This set has new material not copywrighted to CBS in the US.  I think it will
be easily available.  There are places which can even get parallel imports on
an individual basis as well (thankfully).  That store in Boston sounds as if
they have played it ultrasafe in the past.  Go to somewhere that will dare to
break those stupid rules.  The parallel import "laws" are just a way of
maintaining the status quo with regard to sound and booklet quality, and the
slow pace of CD reissues.  Why would people import discs if they weren't
superior in some way, especially with how much they cost?

Derek