Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

Breathing seems to me just to say "Nuclear war would _not_ be a groovy thing.
In fact, it'd be pretty unpleasant."  There's nothing particularly political
about the song.

Whether or not KaTe is political, I'd have to agree that, based on the
'message' of Army Dreamers she might be opposed to the singing of the US (or
other) national anthem before a show.

It would be difficult to take Army Dreamers seriously if it were preceded
by a song that encourages, to some degree, a blind devotion to a country--
I feel that the anthem encourages people to think that it's a special thing
to die for one's country--not for the things that make the country special
to begin with.

(uh oh...who's gonna flame me for all this?!)

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |