Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead

From: gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Gary L Dare)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 90 00:35:43 GMT
Subject: Re: barr roseanne? No, Skin sinead
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (The Daily News)

In article <736@glenlivet.hci.hw.ac.uk> Michael Simms writes:

>This is not intended as a personal Flame,  but is just an
>expression of my amazement at why Intelligent Americans (must
>be to think KT is GOD :-) think (are brainwashed into thinking ?)
>that the Stars and Stripes is sacred, whether in song or as the flag.

Actually, it's not the intelligent ones ...  one must realize that the
Americans have a national political religion that makes them different
from almost every other society on Earth.  Unlike many dictators who
fabricate a cult of personality (e.g., Saddam Hussein being the most
recent example), this thing has a life of its own and manifests itself
in as many different ways as there are people down here (I say "down
here" 'cos I'm Canadian; even coming from a majority white, English-
speaking North American society, this was a striking difference when I
got to meet real Americans.  As a purposeful outsider, it has a bit of
a Twilight Zone-ish feel when it gets out of hand and noticeable).

One should be careful not to let this blind our vision from all the
good things in the States, though.  It's only bad when certain people
make jerks of themselves over it; Gaffa isn't one of those groups they
hang around in, but Misc.headlines is full of those people.  (And I do
confess that I like to play "agent provocateur" over there once in a
while to stir them up a little ...  just a little! (-;)

gld
--
Gary L. Dare				No golf courses on