Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re Please Summarize CD and LP Pressings

From: derek%sunstroke@sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 90 10:14:58 PDT
Subject: Re Please Summarize CD and LP Pressings

In Article 7460 of rec.music.gaffa:

Ken Stuart (vecvax!ken@Sun.COM) requests:

>	It would be a help for me and probably other readers, if someone could
>summarize what is known concerning the various pressings of the CDs and LPs
>of Kate Bush.
>Sound quality information is helpful, but for the sake of brevity, it
>probably isn't necessary to critique the sound for each album individually.
>	In other words, I am looking for "reviews" of EMI America vs.
>EMI Manhattan vs. UK pressing, etc. including which have lyrics and so forth.
>	PS Just to contradict the above, I wouldn't mind seeing specifc
>information on the various (and sometimes expensive) versions of
>The Kick Inside.

Ken, I can give you the following information.  I know nothing of the vinyl
save the original cover of TKI cover (Kate on a Kite in an Eye - the best one
IMHO) is the UK import cover.  The use of the term "import" below refers to
non-US CDs.

All the UK import CDs have the complete lyrics (TWS had no lyrics) and most,
if not all, of the original artwork/photos that came with the original albums.
(They are mostly printed on better quality paper - even card for some).

The UK CDs have come from various CD manufacturers.  I have seen the following

*Album*           *Made by*      *Made In*

The Kick Inside    Polygram      W. Germany
                    Nimbus           UK       *

Lionheart          Polygram      W. Germany
                    Nimbus           UK       *

Never For Ever       PDO         W. Germany   *
                     EMI             UK

The Dreaming        Nimbus           UK       *

Hounds of Love    EMI-Toshiba      Japan      *
                     EMI             UK

The Whole Story      EMI             UK       *
                   Nimbus            UK

The Sensual World    EMI             UK       *
                    DADC           Austria

(PDO = Phillips-Dupont Optical, DADC = Digital Audio Disc Corp.)
I have the ones marked *

Generally I swear by Nimbus pressed CDs (and imports of foreign artists in
general) because their dynamic range is usually superior to most other (and
US) manufacturers although they can be a tad light on the bass end.  None of
the imports have the distorted or excessive treble which US made CDs (not
necessarily KaTe's) sometimes have.  I replaced  my German TKI and LH with
Nimbus discs feeling they sounded clearer.  There was a tad more hiss,
noticeable with headphones, but not with ordinary listening.  The increase in
dynamic range I thought made up for it.

There is a negligible difference between the Japanese and UK discs of HoL.
They sound *slightly* different but one does not sound necessarily better.

I expect that all her UK imports will soon be availble only as EMI pressed
discs.  The Nimbus and other pressings were from the time that EMI themselves
could not press as much as they needed to so they used other "independent"
companies.

As for comparison with domestics.  I believe the original EMI America releases
had the lyrics but the new EMI Manhattan discs don't (Correct me Ed if I am
wrong).  I once bought the EMI America NFE, when it was first released, and
was appalled at the poor transfer - hiss between the tracks, a clunk before
the start of Wedding List. I was disappointed but at least it was a CD I
thought at the time.
When I heard the import I was stunned by the increased clarity and dynamics,
the lack of any audible hiss, and no clunks.  The booklet was far better too.
I picked it up at a snap and ditched my domestic.  They may have remastered it
since.  I recently compared the domestic EMI Manhattan LH with my UK Nimbus
(though not in the best of situations) and they were not very different in
sound - but the UK booklet is far better.

It has been mentioned several times before that the UK TSW sounds better than
the US CBS pressing.

For CDs I would recommend getting the imports.  EMI UK have the primary
masters and do a very good job at CD transfer.  The booklets are true to the
original artwork and have the lyrics.

If you can wait, the boxed set due before Christmas (probably import only)
will enable you to get them all plus the b-side CDs all in one go and probably
at less cost than getting the album CDs separately.

Hope this helps.

Derek
Derek Langsford                 | "It could take me all my life,
Polperro->Edinburgh->San Diego  |  or it could only take a moment..."
derek@sunstroke.sdsu.edu        |                  Kate Bush, Love & Anger