Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: news@petunia.CalPoly.EDU (Newsman)
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 90 14:54:39 -0700

From: sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Everything But The Girl
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 90 21:54:35 GMT

Really-From: Douglas MacGowan <macgowan@NISC.SRI.COM>

>I just recently bought the latest tape by Everything But The Girl -
>I had heard "Driving" and "The Road" on a new-age radio station.
>
>These guys are good!

Yeah.  "The Language of Life" is a GREAT album.

>Now, I come begging for some more info.  Who are these two people?

Ben Watt and Tracey Thorn.  I have seen a Tracey Thorn solo album with a
copyright date from the early 80's, but I never picked it up.

>What's the story behind them?  Are their other albums as good as
>this one?   What are their other albums?

I don't think any of their other albums are quite as good as their latest, but
that is because of the musician line-up.  I mean, look at all the popular jazz
people they have playing on it.  You might also want to pick up "Idlewild"
which was their previous album.  This is not nearly as jazzy though, listening
to it the other day, there were parts that reminded me of 10,000 Maniacs.  It
has that alternative pop sound to it.  The one to stay away from is an album
where it is just Thron singing with an orchestra.  I can't remember the name
of the album (I think it might be "Baby the Stars Shine Bright"), but it is
very different.  Their other stuff is on import (from UK) only.

I have also seen some CD singles to the latest album.  I have a US version of
the single for "Take Me" which has an excellent remixed version of the song.
I have also seen import singles from the UK for both "Take Me" and "Driving".
One of them, I can't remember which one, has an unavailable track on it.

--
sseidman@polyslo.calpoly.edu         Steven R. Seidman    "The MIDIman"
"When I had first heard electronic music, it had affected me so strongly