Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The boxed set and not-so-rare new-to-CD material

From: "Cindy, the Coaster Rider" <LOISELLE@cs.umass.EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 90 14:50 EST
Subject: The boxed set and not-so-rare new-to-CD material

Derek Langsford writes...

> Oh dear, I have a bad feeling EMI are going to cock-up this opportunity
> to do justice to Kate's catalogue.

> These are all very official, not really hard to get (at some time or
> another) b-sides and single releases.

> I should be grateful that all those tracks will be available on CD at last,
> but I feel depressed at the prospect of an opportunity missed.

Speak for yourself!  Yes, I'd *love* to see some of the rarer stuff made
available, but as a fairly new KaTefan I'm thrilled at the opportunity
to be able to acquire many of these "not really hard to get" items in such
short order.  Maybe they are *relatively* easier to get, but I'm sure I'm
not alone in finding them still somewhat difficult to track down, at least
given my limited time and budget.

I don't mean to be jumping on you about this, Derek, and I understand your
frustration, especially if you already have much of this material, but I
just want to say that I, for one, am delighted with seeing even the
"non-rare" b-sides and alternative mixes made more readily available.

> Thus it looks like we are going to have to repurchase those album CDs all
> over again in order to get the other tracks.  At least those of you with
> lyricless US domestics will be upgrading to better inserts and sound
> quality.  Some of us already have the import discs though.

Yes, yes, I'm also eager to be able to get import versions.  I've put off
buying many of the CD's as I'd rather have lyrics sheets and I keep hoping
I'll find EMI America versions instead of the EMI Manhattan Treasury series.
I've got to admit that my ears simply aren't good enough to hear some of the
quality differences that have been mentioned here, but then again I haven't
done a side-by-side comparison, either. (Of course, when I *do* see the
EMI America versions it's always when I have *no* money, sigh.)  But I did
manage to get TKI as an import and I look forward to completing my set.

I also hope that the new-to-CD material is made available separately.  I
know there are many KaTefans that have all the CDs and would only really
want to get this new material.  But even if that's not the case, I'm quite
thrilled with this announcement.

                                         Cindy Loiselle