Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Witches, Madonnas, and Goddesses

From: GREY1@AppleLink.Apple.COM (Laura Grey)
Date: 7 Aug 90 17:36:48 GMT
Subject: Re: Witches, Madonnas, and Goddesses
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@Apple.COM

In article <34832@ut-emx.UUCP> Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes
about Kate and Madonna:

> You could say that one wears a mantle of erotica, while the other
> flashes a shroud of blatant sex trimmed with pornography.

Mmm, yes!  Your entire posting provides a terrific comparison, Susan.

Athletic, bouncy but graceless Madonna is certainly interesting to watch
in her trashy Barbarella/Frederick's of Hollywood/Salvation Army/I Dream
of Jeannie sort of way, but our free spirit, Kate, is the sort of woman
you want to listen to with your ears and mind and heart.  What's more, as
ethereal or abstract as Kate can be, she's also a surprisingly real and
gentle person, by all accounts, whereas Madonna's style jars and punches and
knocks the wind out of people.  They're both powerful women, but I prefer
the power that Kate summons from within over the power that Madonna grabs
from others.

-Laura Grey