Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Madonna;the Anti-Kate?

From: How Gone Is Ron <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 90 10:13:39 -0400
Subject: Re: Madonna;the Anti-Kate?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Chris here,
>Oddly enough, it was jsd's
>frothing-at-the-mouth, and claiming that Madonna was the "Anti-Kate"
>that caused me to seriously re-consider Ms. Ciccione's music. I share
>enough musicial taste with Jon to take some of what he says seriously,
>but believe his more obnoxious qualities and tastes are a result of
>believing what he reads in the British music papers.

1) I *never* froth.  I foam.  Important distinction, young Christopher.
2) I never claimed that Madonna was the AntiKate.  That would've been
|>oug, who believes that Madonna has never recorded ANYTHING worth
listening to ever.  Personally, I think she's got one or two quite
fine songs in there somewhere - not bad for five or six albums worth
of material, eh?  (fnarr fnarr)  The fact is, there are many worse
acts than Madonna around right now.  Paula Abdul and New Kids On The
Block are the worst offenders in my mind right now.  Remember Ciccone
Youth and "Into The Groovy"?  A quite fine parody.  You couldn't do
such things to Paula Abdul and the Nude Dweebs because they already
are self-parody, as far as I'm concerned.  Oh, but they can DANCE...
(snort of derision).

You're so quick to condemn me Chris, you just never bother to check
the facts.  I bet we have a lot more in common than either of us would
be willing to publicly admit.

3) I believe everything I read.  It's not just the British music
press.  The printed word has an authority about it that I find very
seductive.  (This is sarcasm, folks.)

>So, figuring that
>any seriously deranged opinions from him may be lifted directly from
>the pages of NME, I've had to use some of "his/NME's" statements as a
>reverse barometer. Not that this is very reliable mind you. But if he
>claims Madonna is the spawn of Hell, she may be quite good.

The only time I ever read NME is when Joe Turner buys it.  I'm a
Melody Maker kind of guy, myself.  Get a clue!  Their interviews are
much better.  The Stud Brothers interview with Revolting Cocks is a
classic.  And c'mon, their Kate interview walked all over NME's, even
if a lot of it was self-serving.

>I picked up
>"Like a Prayer" and listened to it on a Walkman, free of radio over-
>exposure and MTV BS. Taken on it's own merits it is very good. The
>Anti-Kate would not have put "Act of Contrition" on this album. Fact
>is only one song on this album is even slightly concerned with sex.

Yeah, but Madonna uses sex to sell songs that aren't even about sex.
Take a look at the Like A Prayer video.  What's on display here,
kiddies?  Hey, it's fine with me.  I'd rather watch Madonna's chest
flapping around than any of those terrible pop metal acts that MTV has
suddenly taken under its wing.

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |
| \|on |/rukman | -Fight The Power- | and you need everything we make.       |