Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Loren Petrich responds!

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 90 12:16:50 PDT
Subject: Loren Petrich responds!

Below is Loren Petrich's response to the Kate/Madonna thread.
I just sent her all the stuff that has appeared on .gaffa, as
she asked.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

Article 49965 of rec.music.misc:
From: loren@tristan.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich)
Newsgroups: rec.music.misc
Subject: Re: MADONNA on MTV [all day] Wed, Aug. 1
Date: 1 Aug 90 02:20:34 GMT
Sender: usenet@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV

In article <715$R#_@rpi.edu> jimcat@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) writes:
>In article <65592@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> loren@tristan.UUCP (Loren Petrich) writes:
>> [on Kate Bush == Madonna???]
>
> But to hear this comparison made... well...
>
> I'm sorry, but I just can't hold it back...
>
> <FLAME ON>
>
> HOW DARE YOU SO MUCH AS MENTION MADONNA IN THE SAME *BREATH* AS
>KATE BUSH?!
>
> <FLAME OFF>
>
> Whew. It feels so good to get that out of my system. Now let me
>try and be a bit more rational about the issue.

	Is it that horrible???

	Did I commit an unforgivable sin???

	I hope no Kate Bush fan is going to put a price on my head for
_this_. Or try to burn me at the stake.

> Madonna is, first and foremost, a pop artist. Her major goals are
>to become a legend in the public eye, an idol, an icon, a symbol
>which evokes a universal image in the minds of anyone exposed to her.
>She wants recognition. Oh yeah, and big bucks.

	Who wouldn't want to be appreciated by the people around
oneself?

	And who wouldn't want a lot of money??? Would you like to try
living without money?

	And what's wrong with money? Are you a Communist? :-):-)

	And how is Kate Bush fundamentally different??

>	[how Kate Bush's work is supposedly pure artistry and
>	Madonna's work is supposedly crowd-pleasing -- how Kate Bush's
>	work is an expression of herself and Madonna's isn't]

	Don't be too sure. Madonna also expresses herself in her work.

> To sum up, I think Kate Bush's artistic style as opposed to
>Madonna's is analogous to a Van Gogh painting as opposed to
>the cover of "People" magazine.

	How does that work out? I know that Madonna is sometimes
unsubtle, but...

>My logic here may not be watertight, but I think you get the
>idea. It's actually a very emotional issue for me, and I think
>a lot of Kate Bush fans feel the same way. If I had this sort
>of reaction, I can't wait to see what some of the dyed-in-the-
>wool Love-Hounds have to say when they get a hold of your
>article.

	By all means. You are certainly entitled to have it posted on
rec.music.gaffa.

	Tell me what they all think of it over there. I'd love to find
out what they think. I hope that they can come up with less flamey

>... But please. When you
>make comparisons to Kate Bush, you're treading on sacred
>ground. Please take care to treat it with respect, or you
>may incur the wrath of those who worship there.

	So that's what it is all about. The biggest of the Kate Bush
fans is going to try to put a price on my head. Or else try to burn me
at the stake. I had hoped that I had been polite in my posting, but
when it comes down to this...

	If there is anything I would prefer, it is that you would try
to explain some of Kate Bush's artistry to all us people of
rec.music.misc -- including me.

						        ^
Loren Petrich, the Master Blaster		     \  ^  /
	loren@sunlight.llnl.gov			      \ ^ /
One may need to route through any of:		       \^/
	lll-lcc.llnl.gov			       /v\
	lll-crg.llnl.gov			      / v \
	star.stanford.edu			     /  v  \
For example, use:
loren%sunlight.llnl.gov@star.stanford.edu

"What do you MEAN it's not in the computer?!?" -- Madonna