Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest

From: John M. Relph <relph@presto.ig.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 1990 14:19:52 PDT
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest

Andrew Marvick (IED) <IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu> says:

>   However convenient it may be for you, Richard, to accept it as "a
>given" that _TSW_ is inferior to _Hounds_of_Love_, the claim--unsupported
>as it is--remains profoundly unconvincing to this fan. IED does _not_
>accept the album's inferiority as a given.

Perhaps not given, but if I, personally, base my judgment solely upon
my emotional response to the two albums, _The Sensual World_ clearly
comes up the inferior album.  That's just the way I feel it.

And more rationally, I don't particularly care for the sound quality
of the album.  I definitely would rather listen to _Hounds of Love_.
I would rather listen to _The Dreaming_.  I think there is no
transparency to the recording.  Where in _Hounds of Love_ there were
layers of sound, _The Sensual World_ has an impenetrable wall.  Where
in _Hounds of Love_ the quiet background noises were clever and
necessary, in _The Sensual World_ the noises are too planned, and
almost a cliche; their cleverness is transformed into routine.

Remember folks, this is merely my opinion.

	-- John