Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Katechism XXXVI.7.xi

From: wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner)
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 90 04:04:13 GMT
Subject: Re: Katechism XXXVI.7.xi
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (J Random USENET)

IED:
>   Your premise is unsupported by evidence here, Richard. IED for one
>dislikes your terminology.

And I don't care much for pseudo-lawyerspeak. So?

>			    Although IED would not try to argue that _TSW_
>is a "better" record than _The_Dreaming_ or _Hounds_of_Love_, he would
>certainly not feel sanguine judging it a "worse" one. Such one-word
>appraisals of Kate's albums seem to IED to have less than no practical
>value.

New Kids on the Block are worse than Kate Bush. Worse. One-word
appraisal. No practical value?

>       Kate's albums--_TSW_ included--are so rich and multi-faceted
>that to dismiss one over another in such cavalier fashion seems to IED
>unwise, to say the least.

So are Security, Skylarking and Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club
Band. What's the point?

>			   IED would answer, however, that _TSW_ is a
>_departure_ from _The_Dreaming_, as it is from _Hounds_of_Love_.

It's a worse album.

>_								  Kate
>herself has explained that she was emphasizing a different side of her
>aesthetic on _The_Sensual_World_.

She was emphasizing a worse side of her aesthetic.

>				   Therefore, simplistic "better-or-
>worse" rating games serve no useful purpose in this context.

Well-prepared duck a l'orange is better than a Spam sandwich. No
useful purpose?

>							      How does
>such a valuation benefit us?

Getting a $300 tax refund is better than paying $700. How does such a
valuation benefit us?

>			      What new insight do we gain from the
>unsupported statement that one album is "better" than another? Such
>judgements don't even begin to address the myriad artistic elements,
>large and small, which make up the intricate and _unique_ fabric of
>_The_Sensual_World_.

Put a cork in it, IED.

Bill Wisner <wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775
"Put a cork in it, Wisner." -- Karl Kleinpaste <karl@cis.ohio-state.edu>